Range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlV

Reaction score
It finally got above freezing :) so I went to the range. Some nice guy had used a ATV and plowed a path to the 100 yard berm.:)

Remington Genisis, using a cheap scope on 6X, Remington STS primers. BTW, I was having issues opening the breech block thing with other primers - I had to literally beat it open with a plastic mallet. That all went away with the Remington STS primers. Opens just as easy every shot, and significantly less primer fouling. Perfect iginition every shot with BH209.

All 3-shot groups @ 100 yards.

Harvester 300 Gr PT Gold with the supplied crush rib sabot - measures .501"
90 gr - 2 1/8" group
100 gr - 2 1/4" group Promising

Hornady 350 gr FTB (no sabot) I couldn't get these things started in my bore. I really tried with my bullet starter, but there just ain't no way. They measure .508 at the skirt. Don't know what I'm doing wrong???

Nosler 300 gr with supplied sabot - measure .503" Very Hard to start and run down the bbl.
90 gr BH209 - 3" group
100 gr - 5" vertical group

Barnes TMZ 290 gr. Measure .5035 WAY Hard to start and load.
I thought I was going to break my ram rod with these.
90 gr BH209 - 1 5/16" (best group of the day)
100 gr - 2 3/4" group

I'm going to get some of the lighter Harvester bullets to try (260 gr?) and some of the easier loading Barnes bullets. I'm going to forget about the heavy Nosler Partitions, maybe the 260's would shoot better. I do have some .458 300 gr Nosler Partitions to try - waiting on the orange sabots.

I sure don't know where the mythical sub-1" groups are with this muzzle loader. Toby Bridges talks about them all the time :) I've just started playing with it, and all in all, any of these I shot today would work just fine for killing deer around here where the longest shot is usually less than 100 yards.

Here's my best today

DSCN0201.jpg

nice groupe ..thanks for sharing ..with the 290gr BARNES tmz i don't think the deer will go very far ...

I had real good luck with two pyrodex pellets and 250 grain Barnes Expanders. Also the 200 grain Shockwaves shoot real well for me.

Nice shooting.

I get incredible groups at 100 yards using 100gr of BP under a shockwave 200 in my TC Triumph. I thought it was pure luck but it happened two days in a row! The shockwaves load hard but the groups I get are telling me not to change a thing. :D

Nice groups! Any way ya look at it, those were all dead deer 8)
Thanks for the report. I'm defiantly going to try those STS primers my next range trip :wink:

Back