Ready for next years grouse!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got this one on gunbroker for $200 shipped!

Remington 870, 20 Gauge
pix603696244.jpg

Actually grouse season is open until early november so maybe we can get a couple weekends in and on camera?! Should make for a great shotgun.

Nice purchase, I meant to respond to the other post but forgot. I was going to say for fast tight shooting I like the single shots. More room to swing and get a follow up I like the pumps. Biggest issue with pumps and auto loaders is knowing when not to shot to save ammo. Just because you can get three shots off doesn't mean you should. I've wasted a lot of shells dove and duck hunting learning that.

Actually, for grouse, you can take out the plug and stuff 5 in there. The plug only applies to hunting migratory game in most states.

I got my first 870 in 1967, shot thousands of birds and small game plus quite a few deer, turkeys and hogs. That gun is still shooting good and only had to have one minor repair done in 47 years.

Pumps actually are able to function as fast or faster than semi-autos in the right hands. :twisted:

PS: Jon, that matte finish suggests an 870 Express. Without even trying it, just remove the barrel and polish the devil out of the barrel's chamber. They're notorious for having fired shells stick in the rough chamber. Use your bore light and examine the pits and imperfections .. then polish the hell out of it. It will cure the ejection problems that these guns are known for.

Nice Shotgun Jon ...friend of mine has a .30-06 that looks a lot like that .

Picked it up today at the gun shop! Great looking shotgun, the bore is flawless and the action is super slick. Great little shooter to so far. I want to set some targets up at 20-30-40 yards and see how is groups.

My 20 ga. autos shoot best with a modified choke tube. The imp. cyl. doesn't seem to reach out far enough.
What length barrel is it? 26" or 28"?

My dad picked up a semiauto mossberg 5500 shotgun and I picked it up for him yesterday. Just shot it today and damned if it doesnt jam after every shot! Turns out this was a common problem and the 3" mags are better for it rather than the 2 3/4" that I was using. Just not enough poop behind them to eject the shell.

The model 670 is a great shotgun:  Remington has sold over six million of those guns.

The model 670 Express is made on a smaller frame than the older 20 gauge guns, which used the 12 gauge frame.  Have a rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount for mine.  i sometimes use it when hunting hogs at feeders.

Nice scatter gun. ( Here in Chicago depending where you are in the city it's " STREET SWEEPER " ) Hope you get a lot of birds.......

Ray........... :thumbs up:

Very good deal...we had a great fall on grouse in da U.P. of Michigan. Lots of flushes and many yummy meals. I don't recall such a grand year.

Latest posts

Back