really need help selecting 20gauge round for my son

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought my son a 20gauge H&R Ultra Light Slug Hunter (rifled). I plan to shoot side by side with my Muzzy.

I have no idea what rounds I should get him? I don't know if a rifled slug or a sabot would be a better choice for him?

He only weighs in at 75lbs (but he is tough and does shoot a 7m-08) anyways, I'd like to have him shoot something with a light kick. Our longest shots would be under 100yds. if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys!

Todd

ok, so all the more reason he will need a low recoil round!

I would look to the Hornady SST or Lightfield saboted slugs for the 20 ga. The 12 ga SSTs have done fine for me, they get great reviews too. I don't know if anyone makes reduced recoil slugs in 20 ga.

The H&R/NEF shotguns are very popular back home in Ohio. The Lightfield is supposedly one of the more accurate rounds from them and recoil not too bad, but those a some adults talking too. There is at least one "Reduced" recoil round if you can find them, the Hornady Custom Lite. Uses the SST.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/851581 ... uctFinding

That rifled barrel is designed for sabots. Some have shot rifled slugs from their rifled slug guns and claim it worked well, I have never done it myself. Give it a whirl and see how it does, much cheaper that way too but I have read where it can really foul the bore.

Remington Copper Solids and Winchester with Partition bullets have shot well for me.

atjurhs said:
would a 45cal muzzy have less kick than a 20gauge H&R slug gun

Yes, it easily could. When I was lining up my older Son we settled with the M-L. This was a shotgun/M-L only area. I used a 50 cal with a 250 grn SST, at the time I didn't have a 45 cal. He practiced and familiarized with 70-80 grains of B209, by volume.

The hunting load was the 250 grn SST with 80 gains of B209. He got a close 20 yrd shot, the deer went only 10 yards or so. He was older at this point, almost 16 or so.

Of course while hunting recoil won't be noticed. They just have to mount the gun properly so they don't get 'scope eye' or some other malady. You can just make your own 'youth loads' with the M-L.

at this point I think there is sufficient change in the topic to warrant a new thread, so I'll start one, thanks to all who contributed and I hope to hear your inputs on the other thread....

Latest posts

Back