Recovered Barnes Expander-MZ (pic) from Savage 10ML-II

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

here is a picture of a Barnes 250 grain .50 caliber bullet that i recovered after it made a pass thru on a deer at 75 yards
barnes_expander.jpg

i was in a tree stand at around 20 ft and the deer was broadside but quartering to me slightly

the point of aim was in the high shoulder area and the bullet hit it's mark and exited the far side at a downward angle coming out near the bottom of the ribcage next to the last rib

the deer fell in it's tracks ,once i climbed down and went to the deer i noticed where the ground was torn up just the other side of the deer(about 4 feet) so i figured this must be where the bullet had exited and entered the dirt

so i dug it up as it was only about 12 to 14 inches deep at a slight angle and only about 4 inches deep straight down

got the bullet home and washed the dirt off to then weigh it to find that it still weighed in at 238 grains from a starting point of 250 grains

the damage done to the deer was severe with a .50 caliber entrance hole and about a 1 1/2 inch exit hole with a lot of internal damage to bones and flesh

wound up killing four deer this season with the Savage 10ML-II using the 250 grain Barnes Expander-MZ's,using supplied sabots with 43 grains of IMR 4759 and on all of them.
the bullets have performed very well with accuracy being about 1 1/2 inches at 75 yards with open sights(no scopes allowed in Ga.)

it has earned it's keep well

Take Care,

Excellent performance by an outstanding ML bullet. Glad someone finally recovered one in the field! So far all I have have found is one BIG HOLE where my 300 grain Barnes MZ Expander's exit deer/wild boar. I did some excavation work to find the one that killed my last deer (in its tracks) but came up empty. :lol:

Thanks for posting those great pics.

Awesome stuff, I was really happy with the expanders performance as well. I'm really excited about the new polymer tipped version...Best of both worlds!

DeerNut said:
I'm really excited about the new polymer tipped version...Best of both worlds!

Yeah, me too! Think I may put some on order. Just can't make up my mind whether to order the 250 gr. or the 290 gr. :think: .

BTW, thanks for the informative post on the Barnes MZ's, Docc! Looks like it really did a nice job!

Yeah, me too! Think I may put some on order. Just can't make up my mind whether to order the 250 gr. or the 290 gr.

That's always an easy choice for me with a Barnes bullet. Since a Barnes is a single alloy bullet and retains close to 100% it's weight...it has ALWAYS made sense to order LIGHTER than you typically would for a typical lead-core bullet. So for me..it was 250gr all the way...more velocity/flatter trajectory for a given powder charge AND less recoil. The ONE stipulation is...Which one is the most ACCURATE? :huh?:

I guess it's like they say,"you get what you pay for."

Back