Reduced loads or Wild Cating the Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron S

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the .430 44cal. bullets with the reduced loads. I have a ton of these on hand,with sabots. My wife shoots them in her Knight. I was thinking that maybe the 200gr Shock waves,and simlar bullets,sabots might shoot well with reduced charges. It would be great fun to use the Savage for squirrel hunting,or any small game. Ron :D

.44 cal bullets do a lot of damage to small game. I know from experience. I live inside of city limits, and it's illegal to discharge any firearm, but we have many small neusance animals running around that I have thinned down with the Savage. Just usinf Fed. 209A primers, 180 grain .44 cal XTP in a black sabot, and no powder. Quieter than most pelet guns so I am never heard, and it quickly gets the job done on animals up to about the size of a 1/2 grown racoon

Could i get the fps at the muzzle, and the drop at about 20 yards for that load? :wink: :lol:

HighTechRedneck said:
.44 cal bullets do a lot of damage to small game. I know from experience. I live inside of city limits, and it's illegal to discharge any firearm, but we have many small neusance animals running around that I have thinned down with the Savage. Just usinf Fed. 209A primers, 180 grain .44 cal XTP in a black sabot, and no powder. Quieter than most pelet guns so I am never heard, and it quickly gets the job done on animals up to about the size of a 1/2 grown racooncoon

Yeah that! Makes an excellent rat gun. :twisted:

My Ultralight Arms will really put the .429 240gr XTPs in there with 38gr VV N-110. Same with a Barnes .451 180gr XPB.

woah! I bet those 180gr XPB bullets are REALLY hauling the mail!

can't wait to see your 200 sst results over N110 !!! :lol:

Sounds interesting! Do you guys think the 200SST's with the supplied sabot will shoot well with reduced loads? Ron :?

Back