Refinishing a GPR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got my friends 54cal lyman great plains rifle in the shop today. Someone REALLY rust browned the barrel, that the pitting is deep and horrible. I HATE draw filing, its killing my nerves :lol: Its bad enough I get weak from my stomach issues, this is really taking its toll on me today.

I've only ONE barrel flat finished so far. Any other flat covered by the stock, will stay as it is. Can't see it, no harm done for either the shooter or rifle. Just like it was done in the old'n days. Leave the hidden barrel flats a little uglier than the ones that show.

The under rib will be fun.... NOT. :no:

Actually, on most of the Hawkens the covered flats showed them to be blued.

yeah on one rifle they found lol.

Hawken shop said brown is correct, due to rusting in the field.

Im actually going to talk to my friend about doing an antique bare steel look that I will age.

You need to read Doc Whites article. He said most were blued and he's handled lots of the real Hawkens. As has old Herb too. Browned is fine, but so is blued if the owner likes it.

Personally, I like browned too and wouldn't have a Hawken built that wasn't browned. I just think a lot of guys strip off bluing and change to browned thinking that's the way to be correct.

You could purchase another barrel and start over on the finish! Brown or blue.  Then your friend would have a dependable and nice looking GPR.  Just a thought.

img_9310.jpg

img_9311.jpg

That's funny. It looks like it was made that way. Every flat looked like that? What does the bore look like?

bore is perfect. I think who ever browned it, didnt stop the rusting. It still has yellowish orange salt crystals in places. Took me over 3 hours to do. Still have to clean up the snail a bit before figuring out what to do to the brown, color wise.

I was just watching a few videos on DuraCoat (DuraBlue and DuraBrown).  Ever use any of that stuff?

Bear Claw said:
That's funny. It looks like it was made that way. Every flat looked like that? What does the bore look like?
I've seen similar finishes purposely applied on modern firearms to cut down on glare in the sight plane.  Wonder if it was done for that reason?

Latest posts

Back