Remington 405 Grain .45-70 Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

Reaction score
Have any of you tried this bullet in a .50 caliber inline? If so, which sabot did you use?

I've not done that Swampman, but it's been on my "to do" list for a long time. It's a good bullet and you only need to get it up to 1300 fps or so for good results on game.

Why don't you give it a try and provide us with a report. :D

Swampman

I think that is one of Cayugad regular bullets - he shoots it quite often. I think he uses the Knight/MMP HPH-.457/458-50 cal Orange sabot.

That is the one that I use to shoot .458's..

I want to give it a try. They are good bullets and you could practice with 405 grain cast to save money I believe. Heck even the 405 grain cast would hammer anything that walks.

I shoot them out of the orange MMP .458 sabot. They are a very well made, copper coated with a flat lead tip bullet. When they hit down range you will know it. The reason I stopped buying them is I bought a LEE 405 grain .458 mold and make the same bullet (without the copper) out of pure lead. They too are very accurate and hard hitting. In my CVA Staghorn Magnum 90 grains of Goex 2f and either of them too, and the rifle is deadly accurate.

Hurling bus sized chunks of metal down range, makes me feel all giddy inside. :lol:

I use it with the orange MMP sabot with 90 grs. BH209 or 100 gr. Pyrodex in my Knight rifles. It produces 1 1/2 " groups and hits like the Hammer of Thor. I wouldn't be afraid to tackle a grizzly with either load.

I posted some shooting results on this bullet last fall in this post:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hlight=405

I also use it in my .458 Winchester magnum as a plinking and deer hunting bullet at upper end .45/70 equivalent velocities.

You can buy them by the thousand from Midway and they are cheap by comparison to any other big bullet.

oldelkhunter wrote:
Quote:
Hurling bus sized chunks of metal down range, makes me feel all giddy inside.

Brings a tear to my eyes as well

Not to mention what it does to the shoulder.

DC

Recoil pain is only temporary compared to the thrill of witnessing an animal killed DRT. :lol:

I just wish I could buy more 500 packs from Midway at the price I paid in 2002

:oops:

I shot a bunch of em out of my Marlins

oldelkhunter said:
oldelkhunter wrote:
Quote:
Hurling bus sized chunks of metal down range, makes me feel all giddy inside.

Brings a tear to my eyes as well

Not to mention what it does to the shoulder.

DC

Recoil pain is only temporary compared to the thrill of witnessing an animal killed DRT. :lol:

Recoil pain is no longer temporary for me. After neck surgery because of two herniated discs and having the vertebrate fused together high recoil guns are a thing of the past. I hunted with a 45cal this year because of it and had three whitetails DRT using a 200 gr bullet. So the thrill is still there without the punishment.

DC

i used to use an all lead 45/50 435gr bullet.......usually drops em on the spot when ya hit......didnt really matter where i hit it was DRT on the spot.impressive what a one ounce slug will do at 1300fps
not much range after 120 yds. but most deer i see are in the 50 to 100 yd range anyway.unfortunately for some reason those monster bucks prefer to be 125 yds out or further.

Latest posts

Back