Removed and re-installed the scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Removed the scope yesterday and had to re-zero it. Headed to the club this morning in my snowmobile suit, winter boots and gloves.
🙂

It was only about 40° and the wind was COLD. Shoot a round and move into the sun, putting your hands in your pockets to warm up.
Took a couple rounds but finally got the dope for 200yds.
I went to the ballistics sheet for 300, 400 and 500yds and I'd say its very close
😉

I DID NOT compensate for the wind. Held on and sent them. I wasn't trying to group, just verify adjustments.
I did shoot at 600yds but....... the mirage was INSANELY TERRIBLE! I don't believe I've ever witnessed it that bad at the club before. Ed was shooting and he ended up giving up the mirage was so bad.

It has warmed up some.......................... LOL

Weather.jpg

Last shot at 200 next to the diamond.

200yds re-zero scope.jpg

300yds.jpg

400yds.jpg

500yds.jpg

I think they you got it in the groove there too. Yeah I remember the heat waves really playing heck with trying to shoot. What I hate is looking at the range flags and they show the wind blowing every which way but one way.

Xring and 45-70.............................

As I mentioned, never have I see so much mirage, ever. That said, it almost appeared that my target itself was moving at 600yds. I had hits, but all over the place, when I should have been hitting less than moa.
Suggestions/recommendations/discussion............................................................................?

600yds.jpg

you folks here shoot amazing groups with those XLD's .
The Arrowhead XLD is an EXCELLENT long range bullet. I have 600 of the 350gr and a couple hundred of the 300gr XLD's.
The 350gr XLD's are the bullets that won the two matches at Camp Atterbury at 1,000yds last year.
I suspect they'll do it again June 10th and 11th this year :) :snipe:

have to figure direction and the speed for mirage.

It was going pretty much straight up. One guy quit shooting it was so bad. Never seen it like that bad.
My target actually looked like it was moving and quite a little.
"Windage [and mirage reading] is an art form". You have to study the wind flags and note the direction and "speed" of the mirage. Mirage will flatten out when the wind is blowing at 12 MPH and above. In a match you can either rely on your spotter's ability [or lack thereof] to make calls on sight corrections or you can rely on yourself. Before the match starts I always go to the firing line and try to determine the dominant wind speed and direction and note how they affect the mirage, if any. I then determine the dominant condition and try to take my shots under the same conditions. You will find that fishtailing head and tail winds can change your chosen condition in seconds. I shoot iron sights so I have to keep turning the windage knobs as conditions change. I ALWAYS look through the spotting scope on my shooting mat to see what is going on downrange before I shoot. The scope guys often just "hold off" to quickly compensate. There is no way to get experience than to just shoot and see where your bullet goes. KEEP NOTES in your dope book.
P.S. NEVER SHOOT WHEN THE MIRAGE IS IN A BOIL

"Windage [and mirage reading] is an art form". You have to study the wind flags and note the direction and "speed" of the mirage. Mirage will flatten out when the wind is blowing at 12 MPH and above. In a match you can either rely on your spotter's ability [or lack thereof] to make calls on sight corrections or you can rely on yourself. Before the match starts I always go to the firing line and try to determine the dominant wind speed and direction and note how they affect the mirage, if any. I then determine the dominant condition and try to take my shots under the same conditions. You will find that fishtailing head and tail winds can change your chosen condition in seconds. I shoot iron sights so I have to keep turning the windage knobs as conditions change. I ALWAYS look through the spotting scope on my shooting mat to see what is going on downrange before I shoot. The scope guys often just "hold off" to quickly compensate. There is no way to get experience than to just shoot and see where your bullet goes. KEEP NOTES in your dope book.
P.S. NEVER SHOOT WHEN THE MIRAGE IS IN A BOIL
Thanks. I've never seen mirage like that. My spotting scope was worthless.

What just boggles my mind is the difference between 500yds and 600yds. 500 was doable, but 600 seemed impossible with my target acting like it was moving.
I was following my range card and it was spot on, I mean spot on to 500. It should have taken me 24.5moa to 600 but ended up taking 26moa?
Lots to learn.............

Thanks. I've never seen mirage like that. My spotting scope was worthless.

What just boggles my mind is the difference between 500yds and 600yds. 500 was doable, but 600 seemed impossible with my target acting like it was moving.
I was following my range card and it was spot on, I mean spot on to 500. It should have taken me 24.5moa to 600 but ended up taking 26moa?
Lots to learn.............
Your spotting scope is priceless if you want to keep up with the mirage. Scope shooters can also keep up with mirage by looking through their rifle scope. Just remember one thing..........high magnification is not always your friend and can actually be a handicap in some conditions. It is common practice to focus the spotting scope about two thirds to 3/4 of the distance to the target to watch the mirage. When we could shoot 800-1000 yards at Grayling, I used a fixed power 6X scope on my rifle and did very well. Last year at a mid-range match [500 yds.] I had my scoped M/L rifle set at 10X. The only way to learn to shoot in the mirage is to shoot in the mirage. X

Your spotting scope is priceless if you want to keep up with the mirage. Scope shooters can also keep up with mirage by looking through their rifle scope. Just remember one thing..........high magnification is not always your friend and can actually be a handicap in some conditions. It is common practice to focus the spotting scope about two thirds to 3/4 of the distance to the target to watch the mirage. When we could shoot 800-1000 yards at Grayling, I used a fixed power 6X scope on my rifle and did very well. Last year at a mid-range match [500 yds.] I had my scoped M/L rifle set at 10X. The only way to learn to shoot in the mirage is to shoot in the mirage. X
Understand about the high magnification. Problem is, without it there's no seeing bullet holes at 600yds. I've tried all white background, the large shoot-n-c targets and it's extremely difficult, even with no mirage, to see a .450" hole at 600yds. When that new range is completed, seeing a bullet hole at 1,300yds will be impossible. Well sort of............
https://www.longshotcameras.com/
I agree, the only way to learn mirage is to shoot in it. Learning to understand it I can see will take a few rounds. ;)

Latest posts

Back