Removing Butchered Screws, how do you do it?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdaws

Reaction score
PH5a Sight .jpegNot exactly a muzzleloader question so much as general gunsmithing. A while back I purchased and Enfield No.1 MK111 that was accurized by Fultons of Bisley. It's in amazing original condition apart from the Parker Hale sight. The previous owner damaged the mounting screws while attempting to remove the sight, I was able to purchase new screws and now I am trying to figure the best way to successfully remove the original ones.

I'm thinking of supporting the rifle and action and then lightly but firmly tapping an appropriately sized screwdriver while applying as much torque as I can without slipping. Can anyone suggest a better method. Any help appreciated.

Looks like the previous owner buggered every screw he touched. Soak with Kroil for a day. Immobilize the rifle, using the correct hollow ground screwdriver press down firmly and turn. Use a small vice grip to try to turn the head of the screw. Be careful with the Dremel tool, it only takes one slip, but cut a cross slot that is 90 deg. from original to try to get some bite on the screw head.

That bottom screw looks worse than the upper one. You should hav no problem with the upper but like the previous poster said, with a good pair of vise grips you should be able to clamp down on it and loosen the screw. Even if you can only turn it 1/4 turn at a time. Patience!

Soak with a penetrant, just in case. Heat the surrounding area with a small butane torch a few times, before and after soaking. Carefully cut the cross slot as Brad502a suggested. Use a crisp, sharp, new proper ground screw driver. If that fails U would grind it flat(try hard to leave it proud (above) of the surface, center punch it, drill a small pilot hole, gradually and carefully drill slightly larger holes(with a set of left hand cobalt bits i bought for this exact problem). If the LH bits back the screws out, great if not, easy out screw extractors will get them out. Barring all of that, in extreme worst case i have welded something to the exposed bit of screw. And in the beyond worst case i have drilled and retapped it or drilled and tapped to the next larger size. I dont think yours will come to any of that.

View attachment 41136Not exactly a muzzleloader question so much as general gunsmithing. A while back I purchased and Enfield No.1 MK111 that was accurized by Fultons of Bisley. It's in amazing original condition apart from the Parker Hale sight. The previous owner damaged the mounting screws while attempting to remove the sight, I was able to purchase new screws and now I am trying to figure the best way to successfully remove the original ones.

I'm thinking of supporting the rifle and action and then lightly but firmly tapping an appropriately sized screwdriver while applying as much torque as I can without slipping. Can anyone suggest a better method. Any help appreciated.
Take to a competent gunsmith who is confident he can successfully remove the screw(s). Then it’s on him.

Easiest thing first. Tap the screw heads back into shape with a small ballpein hammer or a small punch. Then try to unscrew them with a hollow ground gunsmith screw driver. Not a screwdriver with a tapered blade. Heat is your friend here so you could try to heat the screws up with a soldering iron if they don't want to play ball.

Latest posts

Back