Replacing a fuel pump - Auto part prices!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Yesterday I went over to new mexico to look at my nephews car that he uses for work. A 2002 nissan sentra gxe with the 1.8.  What a freakin turd those nissans are! They have 2 lists of problems, longer than my arms put together. The car gives him problems where it cranks, hits a little, cranks, nothing. Go out the next day and it starts right up, runs like a bat out of hell for a week, then takes a crap and goes back to its ritual of not hitting.

He took the back seat out yesterday and wiggled the wires on the fuel pump and it turned on, did the key again and  the fuel pump wouldnt come on, wiggled the wires and she turns on.

I go up yesterday, wiggle wiggle, zoooom, pump turns on, not a darn hit when cranking it over!

We changed plugged and before turning it over I said,, hold up, let me try something.

I had him pressurize the fuel pump a few  times, then hit the fuel rail pressure valve with a nail and not one drop of fuel came out! The pump was turning on, but not sucking up any fuel. Most likely bypassing internally.

We went and bought a new fuel pump and then removed one fuel line at the pump. The other was a little harder and you guessed it. Got to love plastic  parts! The plastic nipple that the fuel line goes to, pulled straight off :lol:

Not a huge deal right? Just pick up a new fuel pump canister assembly.

Yeah, $250! :affraid:  

I told the store clerk, hell no! that car isn't worth that much lol.

We went on ebay and picked up the same brand for $50 shipped.

In the end, this was probably the better thing to do as we all know how plastic gets over the years sitting inside of a fuel tank. But damn! $250 VS $50 for the same brand? Sure wish it was a metal set up like my 73 jeep and used actual rubber hoses and Clamps rather than plastic on plastic.
s-l16011.jpg

I hear you, parts prices are crazy anymore!  Rockauto.com is another place like eBay where you can usually get cheaper parts than the big box stores. I’ve bought some from amazon too.

nissans are like a lumber truck. ruff to drive but rugged. we have a 4 wheel drive nissan pickup. it is a hunting truck and a deep snow truck, rides ruff but is strong. my neighbor went though the whole thing and it is now rebuilt. will last for years but drove little. they are not toyotas or hondas  but being rebuilt it will last. do i like it, NO, but it is their when i need it and it does what it is supposed to. my son uses it for hunting all the time, that is what it is, a truck that is for rugged use, not a every day truck. one of the best cars we have ever bought is a 10 year old like new chrysler with the biggest engine they make. only 80 thousands miles on it. that is a dream car, fast, reliable and even gets good mileage. you feel very nice sitting in that car. didnt cost all that much as it was 10 years old. all highway miles and looked like new. never knew chryslers made such good cars before that one. as for me i drive a old toyota pickup with three hundered thousand miles on it. fits my ass, the seat and never quits on me. love that old truck. in my opinion locally ive seen the old ford pickups out do anything made to day. a doge ram, new one couldnt pull a chevy pickup out of the ditch near my house but this old old ford didnt even grunt and did it with ease, made the big dodge ram look like a gay wiener. we all laughed and said we never, all of us ,buy a dodge ram after that. that old old ford was the real deal and it proved it.my nissian is strong and tough also, but what a ruff riding lumber wagon it is. glad i have a good friend who can rebuild anything when i own that one. thanks for listening, roger

trust me, on these new nissans they are a huge head ache! Sensor problems, ECM problems, fuel pump relays, head gaskets.... I wouldn't own a NEW nissan or buy another one with all the electrical stuff they put in them.

On that truck, maybe some Monroe shocks are in store for it? I put KYB shocks on my jeep and that was like strapping bricks to the suspension lol. My brother used Monroe and that sucker is smooth riding.

Had two '84 Ford Pickups, best Pickups we ever had. Sold both of them  :(  Now drive a Dodge Ram and a Jeep.

oneshot

That Fuel pump looks familiar :x Well kinda? My wife just recently had 1 go out in her Chrysler Sebring Car, It happened Directly across the Street from a Local Garage/Mechanic Shop, The Shop Guys just pushed the Car over to it. The Pump was like 250 Bucks, And of course it was inside the Gas Tank, I didn’t even want to Try and tackle it! I did some research on it that Night, There was a YouTube video of a Guy Doing the EXACT same Car/Fuel Pump in like 7 minutes from Start to finish! I ran up the Next morning to Do the Job myself, But they already had her Car inside the Garage, I didn’t even Stop. It was a SUPER SIMPLE Job! The Backseat Lifted out, and you were looking right at the Fuel pump wires, All that needed Done was to Remove the Lock Ring, Lift the old pump out, And replace with the new one. The Garage Charged 160.00 for the Job

I had the same thing on my 1998 chevy blazer.Store wanted close to $300.00.I bought the same one 0n ebay for $38.00.Buy most of my parts there now.Saved a BUNCH of money.

it would be nice if some one made a good pickup with no electrical new stuff. roll up windows and the works. i would by one.

Back