Replacing breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hod

Reaction score
I read in a couple of places about replacing breech plug when they are getting bad. What I could not find is what to look for in a bad plug. Any info would be great.

Hod

Any serious erosion of the plug whether enlarging of the flame channel or elsewhere. Increasing amounts of blowback, increasing reduction in accuracy, or primers separating could all indicate time for a new plug.

what is the easiest way to clean the flame channel in the breach plug?

The easiest way is probably a soak in a good cleaner (I use a local product called 624 that works great) followed by a pipe cleaner and/or a thin wire to remove any remaining junk (there is rarely any left). I then hit it with blast of compressed air until everything is totally dry, run a bit of alcohol through the hole, and blast it again with the air. I then apply either Slick50 ONE grease or Amsoil food grade grease to the threads - ready to reinstall.

Many leave their plugs out until just before going to the range or otherwise preparing to shoot. I don't - but it probably is a good idea.

624 can be ordered from http://www.techcheminc.com/cleaners.htm#Spray%20624? $8/gallon

Underclocked said:
Any serious erosion of the plug whether enlarging of the flame channel or elsewhere. Increasing amounts of blowback, increasing reduction in accuracy, or primers separating could all indicate time for a new plug.

X2.

Back