Ridiculous Modern History

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
Ridiculous Modern History

It's no wonder we are in the shape we're in today!!

SCHOOL  --1960 vs. 2017 

Scenario  1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1960  -  Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2017 - School  goes into lock down, SWAT called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario  2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2017 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario  3:
Jeffrey  will not be still in class, he disrupts other  students.
1960 - Jeffrey sent to the  Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2017 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the Government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario  4:
Billy  breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a
fighting0081.gif
with his belt.
1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2017 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The Government psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario  5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1960 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
2017 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1960 -  Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college. 
2017 - Pedro's cause is taken up by the Government rights section. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.
Scenario  7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red-ant hill..
1960  -  Ants die.
2017 -ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents --and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario  8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by  his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort  him.
1960  -  In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2017 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in  Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Re: Ridiculous Modern History

Yep, that sums it up very well.  

Lots of kids today are being Ritalinized for slight infractions of arbitrary "rules".   In many school systems  all it takes is the word of one teacher and Billy is put on Ritalin. 

After completing high school, Billy grows up with mental problems and runs afoul of the "justice system" for having a few grams of pot.  They  Thorazine Billy's  @ss, declare him a  "behavorial" problem, put him in prison with violent offenders.

Modern mothers are raising.....'wussies'!!

They are not really raising them they are creating them !

Boy mark1945 you are so right. They need to cut back on the creating and pickup on the raising. just mho :D

I have a different take on the youth of today, a view that is biased due to my career and to the people my wife and I associated with when our son was growing up.

I just don't see the change in the number of "wussies" at the engineering university I worked at for 30 years. Our acceptance standards are more strict than Harvard's, so these kids are bright and studious. Yet, I have coached them on the ice hockey club team, was the originator, faculty advisor and coach of the boxing team, and faculty advisor for the shooting team (until the university's legal staff became overly concerned with liability issues). I met with the wrestling team's recruits and their parents every year. There were no wussies among them.

Are there computer game and smart phone addicted softies at the school? Sure. And there were people like that (with nerdy interests of that period) when I was in school in the 1960s.

My own son played ice hockey from the age of 6, up through college. The young people he played with and traveled with all the way through high school could never be classified as weaklings.

In our county's school system, the second largest in the state, and in the largest school system, no teacher can have a student put on Ritalin or any other medication. No teacher has that authority. They could suggest that parents should consider having their kid evaluated by a qualified physician, but their opinion carries no weight. In fact, in dealing with thousands of students over the 30 years, I have never met one who had a teacher push them onto any medication. I have met many who were on Ritalin and its derivatives, but every one was evaluated by a medical professional and prescribed by a physician. Every one.

As for style of modern upbringing, here is a photo of a young man who never was spanked in his life. Not once. Keeping in mind that he was brought up without every having a hand laid on him in anger or punishment, this photo was taken on the way home from an MMA (mixed martial arts) competition.
T7zMkx.jpg

This is a shot of this polite, gentle young man when he won his class in the North American Submission Grappling Tournament.
jhd1LB.jpg

Here is a result of his MMA activities. Off the mat, he is a mellow as can be.
VQSem2.jpg

Like I said, my view is biased by the people I know and associate with. Perhaps others have had experiences and associations counter to mine.
Ron

I would say that your experience is the exception....rather than the everyday norm!

There is always exceptions. And I for one are grateful for those exceptions. Perhaps those exceptions are the checks and balances in society.

The problem is twofold, poor parenting and school systems that never heard of common sense. Solve these problems and you've come a long way.

Ron's school system may be an exception but new math and eliminating cursive handwriting are two things that make no sense.
I have a BS degree in Chemistry and Biology and a post-graduate degree in the science field and I can't do my granddaughter's 4th grade math the way that the teacher wants it done.

We carried our rifles on the school bus....so we could go deer hunting after school!!

Society has installed IDIOTS as school administrators!!

My experience is closer to RonC's... 

Experience makes me believe more positively in our young people than I do 
our older 'leaders.' Us included.

It is interesting how willing we are to reject RonC's direct positive experience with large 
numbers of young people because it may fly in the face of comfortable media created beliefs when many of us claim to 'distrust' the media.

Even when accompanied by positive visual evidence, we cannot convince some to change their minds. It discouraged me from doing the same as RonC as the response would be predictable; 
"Your example is limited and must be an exception and will not be allowed to impact my beliefs. Young people stink." (Chuckle) 

And, we wonder why we have such a tough time recruiting to our past-time...

To complicate things, I went to find a picture of our young people from our club winning national matches. Apparently, these images are deemed unsafe to share these days- which complicates my message with another concern.

RonC is right.   There's lots of regular school kids out  there. 

i went to college at age 45 in 1984.  Was in and out of several schools,  including after work classes at Rutgers.  Was also in and out of jobs in the middle east.   Got my BBA in 1988(GPA 3.41)  MBA in 1997 (GPA 3.75).   Have lots of hours toward a PHD that will never be completed  because i lost interest. 

The young folks i attended college with were much like the ones in high school in the 1950s.   None were "wussies".   None of the college students i know today are "wussies". 

Yep, i carried a shotgun on the school bus and hunted on the way home.  That came to an end with decisions of county and state administrators and school boards, not teachers.  It's a liability thing; lawsuits and all that.  

It's fashionable for people on these boards to  whine and make accusations about college and college professors.   Those who complain the loudest  have never been to college and it really does piss me off.  i have  friends who are professors.   Most professors are regular folks too; i know a couple eccentric professors but they are good teachers. 

About ten years ago i met a young man while hog hunting.   He came from a family of modest means.  Guess how he got through college?  By trapping and  selling wild hogs.   He sold enough hogs in about 18 months to pay for his college room and board for three years.  He graduated from college and entered the US Army.   He is a Capt. in Special Forces.     

Noone HERE has broad-clothed all of these young folks the same way.....or as 'wussies'! There are millions of exceptions! BUT......the 'wussies' coming up are making up a very large percentage of those that are causing political and societal problems today and have learned how to work the system off the backs of the working men/women of America! And as far as education is concerned America has been governed by the intelligentsia class for the previous 200 years and IMO we're a far cry from where we should be today! There are two types of people in this world; those that get up in the morning and pull on their boots and go to work and who are responsible for their actions and families and those that lay their sorry butts in bed and mooch off the working men and women of this country! My 'sheepskin' says DD-FORM 214 presented to me by my Uncle! I don't have a college education....didn't want one! I knew what aviation could do for me along with the many fine farmers in my area that kept me in business for 40 years! And the only people I owe today other than the fine folks that gave me a chance to work for them are my Mom/Dad for giving me the breath of life!! May God Rest their souls!

I don't know why you all are bringing up scenarios with college students. The original post had to do with grade school and high school situations and the idiotic actions were undertaken by the administrators not the students.

When men start marrying men, it's time to wake up about what shape our country is in.

The college kids are the immediate product and reflection of their primary and high school experiences combined with their parental upbringing. When they walk into the door as freshman, they are high school students and remain so for some time.

This is not to say that there aren't problems. The demands by administrators and legal staff and the demands on those same people are unlike any we have seen before. Some of the demands and rules are so onerous and ridiculous that all I can do is shake my head in disbelief. I offer the termination of the shooting club at our university as a grim example. Potential liability, evil firearms (even when stored empty in a safe), liability, students who enjoy shooting, liability and all the other specious arguments, including liability drove the legal eagles to distraction.

Who am I to critique the modern kids? I flunked out of college at the end of my second year, in 1967. My focus was on male/female social interactions, not academics. :twisted:Two years of government induced foreign travel put a different head on my shoulders before I went back to school in '69.

Ron ( whose BDU's must have shrunk in the closet over the years - cause they don't fit!)

Falcon, I did not know there was another Scarlet Knight here. I did some work 
on the New Brunswick campus a long time ago. A bit after you, though. I have 
bounced around quite a bit.

knight_zpstiqybf0x.png

PS. Boy, that pic is a lot bigger than I needed!

It's not so much how we view them...rather how they view themselves.
A big part of the change has to do with real wages.  Many simply cannot afford to get married, have kids and buy a home.  

Adjusted for inflation, US wages are just below the 1989 level.  Yep, over 25 years of wage growth were lost. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/average-wage-growth-in-the-us-2013-8

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/sunday-review/americas-productivity-climbs-but-wages-stagnate.html

Latest posts

Back