Ring height needed for 40mm scope?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
2x7x32 or 3x9x40mm Bushnell Legend
Knight Extreme
Weaver style bases (probably Warne)

What height rings do I need? I'm guessing mediums. Keep in mind that the length of pull will be slightly long for me (14.5" and I've got short arms) so I will likely need offset rings to move the scope rearward to compensate to get the proper eye relief. Also not sure how the bolt handle will interfere with the ocular bell/magnification adjustment ring.

I have Warne Bases on the Knight Long Range Hunter that I bought from Big6x6.I know that Chuck had a Nikon 3x9-40 with Warne Med Rings on it.I put a Sightron Big Sky 3.5x10-42 on it and it does clear with the Warne Med Rings,but I elected to go with the High for a little more clearance so I can use a flip-open cover.I don't see you having any problems with Warne Medium Rings or the Bolt Clearance.Hope this helps. -------- Rich

It really matters which bases....
Warne
32mm- low rings
40mm- med rings

Weaver Grand Slam
42(maybe MORE) and less- low rings

Both of my Extremes have Warne bases. They both accomodate a 40mm scope (Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40) using low rings (one has Warne and one has Leupold QD rings). There is adequate, but minimum, clearance between the bottom of the objective and the barrel, and a nice low line-of-sight that allows a good cheek weld. I like a scope to be mounted as low as possible.

Perhaps a 40mm scope with a big adjustable objective would need medium rings, but a 40mm scope with a clean objective bell should work with low rings. Anything bigger than 40mm would definitely need medium rings. And, if you want to use a flip-up lens cover, you will need medium rings.

For 6X6: With the Thompson Center maxima base and a 40mm scope (Leupold Ulimateslam in my case) will the low rings give sufficient height for the hammer and flip-up covers? Also, I am thinking about the quick release (TC or Warne) rings and leaving the rear sight on. Would this work with the above combination or should I just go with the medium rings? Lastly, any suggestions on where to either get the Warne or T/C maxima scope base/rings for a good price? Thanks so much.

Latest posts

Back