Roundball patch size

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

In looking at my muzzleloader supplies back-stock, I appear to have a half-million 58-cal unlubed roundball patches and no unlubed 50 caliber.

Are there any 'cons' to using an oversized 'wet' 58-cal round patch in a 50-cal ML? I plan on experimenting with three flavors...
1) Mr. Flintlocks Lube and Cleaner
2) Olive Oil
3) DL Permatex Hand Cleaner http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/hand-care/hand-cleaners/dl-permatex-blue-label-cream-hand-cleaner-detail

I should probably scratch the last two I listed. Otherwise my bore may become too contaminated with burnt residue, from all the overlapping from the oversized patch.

Maybe my cheap-azz-butt better go buy some 50-cal patches, if I plan on using all three lubes I listed here.

Cut at the muzzle was the way it was done originally. Just cut yours or trim them beforehand. No sense wasting them.
Do you have a .50 cal. punch?

I use 58cal patches in all my rifles, including the 50cal. I prefer the oversized patch as it makes centering the ball in the patch easier.

Not sure about the hand cleaner.

Olive oil/beeswax makes decent patch lube but really more for hunting when you only get a couple shots. Mink Oil from track of the wolf is the best hunting lube ive used to date.

I was out shooting my .54 cal the other day and cut at the muzzle for the first time ever and that is not a bad way. I had some patch material that I had not cut to size, I may cut at the muzzle more often.

I have used the following patch lube for almost 40 years and have had no issues: by volume...1/3 Water, 1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap, 1/3 Windex (or any window cleaner with ammonia). Every time you put a patch and ball down the barrel, it cleans and lubes. Don't have any issues with rust, junk build-up in the barrel, etc., and cleaning the gun after a day of shooting is a cake walk.  I raised two wives and five boys shooting with this patch lube and never, ever had an issue and I still use it in all my guns: trade, rifles, shotguns and all the pistols and cannon. I tried everything before I was passed this mix by a graybeard friend (now I are the graybeard!) and nothing worked and caused me all manner of irritation. Give it a try, if you don't like it, it didn't cost you anything but catching the devil from your dearly beloved for stealing her cleaning supplies!!!

Latest posts

Back