Ruger #1 .460 S&W

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ruger finally made a #1 I can legally hunt with in Indiana. The .460S&W cartridge is not legal ammunition in a rifle here (it is legal in a pistol) however the .454 Casull and .45 Colt are legal and can also be fired in a gun chambered for .460 S&W. I put an old Leupold vx 3 1.75-6X32 scope on top. Can't wait to try her out . I've wanted a #1 for as long as I can remember

20010027.jpg

20010029.jpg

20010024.jpg

20010026.jpg

That is a nice looking rifle.

My friend hunts with one of them in I think a .270 and he has some expensive glass on it. He claims he shot a deer at over 500 yards with it one year. They are a nice rifle. I like Ruger. But I have a M77 in 7mm mag.

Those are a real thumpers and a beautifully made gun.

BTW keep an eye out for a ring in the chamber left by shooting a shorter cartridge. Its not that big of a deal unless you are shooting some stout loads but it happened in my single shot 357MAX using 357mags.

Several places have been closing out the H&R Buffalo Classics in .45 Colt for around $250.00. They can be rechambered to .454 or .460. They have nice walnut stock sets from the factory.

Nimrodder said:
GM54-120, How do you like the .357 Max cartridge? Alot of Indiana hunters swear by that round.

I dont load it anymore but out of the carbine and Contender pistol i preferred it to a 44mag. Using a 180gr bullet it shot as well or better with less recoil. Using the single shot pistol bullets its was very accurate too.

The 30-30 Contender was my favorite though with hand loads.

Nimrodder said:
I wish they made inlines with wood like that 8) .

There is a company that builds smokeless MLs on a Ruger #1 but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They sure are purdy though. :D

I have #1 with an equally beautiful piece of wood on the stock. Man I love that rifle almost better than my wife (did I just say that). :lol:

Back