Ruger 77 ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panhandle

Reaction score
I know I've read something about these on this board. What's up with them?.... good shooters?...reliable?....what's a used one worth?.....I saw my first one today and I sorta liked the way it looked.
Zen

rugerM-77(ml)

I have seen both good & not-so-good post on the Rugers on this websit. There doesn't appear to be an over-abundance of owners of these Rugers out there. At least not many that PREFER them to other more popular rifles. I have never shot one or even held one, so I really can't offer an opinion :oops: Art Sehnke

One of my hunting partners has owned one for years. He shoots lights out with a Knight saboted 400 gr bullet over 80 gr of T7

Panhandel

Bet you saw the ruger @ KD'S. I don't believe it would be very good with the BH 209. Probly be fine with T7. How did it go with the Savage? My TC .45 looks pretty good without the QLA.
Wayles

Re: Panhandel

wayles said:
Bet you saw the ruger @ KD'S. I don't believe it would be very good with the BH 209. Probly be fine with T7. How did it go with the Savage? My TC .45 looks pretty good without the QLA.
Wayles

Yeah Wayne thats where I saw it. That Ruger makes for a handy feeling bolt action. ....I dropped of my action/barrel/bolt at KD's Saturday morning. I'm having him cut 3" off the barrel/re-crown, take a little metal out of the action, drill out the bolt handle, and drill and tap for a third pillar/action screw. I appreciate you setting me up with him; he seems to know his stuff. He likes to talk guns and hunting just like I do...I could have set around all day. :lol: ....It looks like he'll have it done sometime this coming week. I'm trying to knock a couple pounds off my Savage without affecting the accuracy. It weighed in at 11lbs before; trying to get it around 9lbs. I've skeletonized the laminate stock, cut 3" off the forend, drilled out the pistol grip, put on a set of Talley lightweight mounts and rings and eventually will put a 2-7x 32mm scope on it. I'll have to come over and we'll see how it shoots when done.
I'm going to see if KD wants to trade something for that Ruger....I don't really need it, but I'd like to have it. :lol:
Maybe I'll see you when I come over later this week.
Zen

Re: rugerM-77(ml)

Panhandle,

If you're considering a 209 primer conversion kit like Swampman's suggestion you might want to wait on that. I ordered one of these from that exact supplier in mid-December and still haven't seen it. They claim it shipped on 12/22. Still trying to get them to send me one. :(

ruger

One thing about it the ruger is light. Make a good long distance carry ML or tree gun for that matter.
Wayles

Zen

I also noticed you were going to put an additional action screw. I am going to do the same thing to my knight .45. Theres not much room and they won't be separated much but with bedding it ought to stiffin up the teeter totter I get with the Knight when I am just squeezin the trigger on sand bags and not shootin . The way the gun shoots I probably should leave it alone. But It can't hurt and who knows it might squeeze a little more out of a great gun and add a degree of confidence
Wayles

panhandle-77/50

nice muzzleloader,
one of the finest muzzleloaders out there.i think it's the only production muzzleloader to have a hammer forged barrel with excellent rifling to match.quick shooter,weighs about 7.5 with a scope.at the time of marketing it also had one the quickest locktimes for a ml.it's 22" inch barrell is rated at 120 ffg bp or equivalent.personally,i have seen nice results with 95gr ffg t7 with a 275gr sabot(harvester cr) with a 209.i saw a claim by someone using a 240 gr sabot and 85 gr fffg t7 with #11.

many out there have been customized already including new sear springs and trigger mods for unbelievably quick lock times,which most ruger model 77 parts interchange with.
sometimes you can find a good buy on them,sometimes not.i have seen anywhere from $170 to $600 another one in the 300 range.
####THIS GUN HATES BORE BUTTER########

I really like my Ruger 77/50. I use 85 gr fffg T7, 250 gr .45 cal SST or XTP in a Harvester smooth black .50/.45 sabot and CCI #11 cap. It has about a 21" working barrel so adding much more powder seemed to be a waste. I tried the 209 conversion that is listed above, and for me it did not solve anything because I have no problems with the #11 ignition system. I feel this setup is adequate up to 150 yards.

I will confess that a little .45 cal Wolverine 209 w/ 26" contoured barrel has wooed me this year. A real 200 yard tack driver. I hunt over harvested fields and wanted the longer and flatter reach. I have no intentions of parting with the Ruger, it has accounted for over a dozen deer over the past several years and it handles real well.

When everything comes together just right, this is what the Ruger can do at 100 yards off a steady benchrest;

dscn0459.jpg

that's a wicked nasty group ya got there reese.with a shot group like that you should be good out to 200.
reese,in your opinion,would 95gr ffg t7 be about the same as 85gr fffg t7? how fast do you think your fps is?almost guessing,i seem to think you're near 2000,i've ballparked mine near 1900 fps .
i'm hoping a 275gr 44/50(.429 green sabot) will extend the range out to 200yds.am curious to wonder about trying this combo with 90 fffg t7.....maybe too much?

If my memory serves me correctly, I think the drop from 100 yards to 200 yards using the 250 gr SST was over 9 inches. It may have been more. That was the best group I have ever shot with it. I can usually group 1" or less with it.

My best guess is that 85 gr fffg T7 is like 90-95 gr ffg T7. Nothing scientific in coming up with that except POI and perceived felt recoil.

I think I remember seeing on the ffg T7 bottle that 100 gr shooting 240 gr XTP in whatever test barrel length they used was around 1800 fps. I suspect I might be getting less than that in my setup.

In my tests, I measured in 5 gr increments (volume) starting at 80 gr and shot a three shot group for each 5 gr increment. I did not exceed 100 gr. When the powder residue and group spread grew and the POI did not, I dropped down 5 gr or so and said that was max for this setup.

maybe even faster.......2200-2300?
i read where a guy claimed this muzzleloader shot 25% hotter(faster) than most standard 25" barrel guns.......and as fast or faster than most so-called magnums.
i'm almost tempted to ask to see a review of a performance comparison of the savage smokeless and the ruger........lol
i bet it's closer than you'd expect.

Latest posts

Back