Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
I bought one of these rifles with the 22" barrel after setting up a compact model in 243 for my wifes niece and that gun really shot great. bought the 6.5 CM because I already had the dies and bullets and powder etc. and it really shoots awsome. the bolt doesnt lock in place on a chambered round so you have to watch that when walking etc. and the feeding and extraction was a little catchy at first but it has smoothed out, but for the money I'm very happy. took two does the other day at around 230 yds. and it seemed easy. haven't had time to really try different loads much yet because it was bought after the deer season came in but I have been shooting the hammer all copper bullets in it with ramshot hunter and h4350 powders. the predator model barrel is a medium weight that seems just right, I don't even have to hold the front of the gun, just lay it up on the rest or my bog pod shooting sticks. kip

I got the aics magazine model but I think I like the flush magazine model a little better, have shot both. My predator model had better finish on the bolt body, as it was polished, the compact 243 model wasn't as smooth a finish on the bolt, but hey that thing would shoot 1/2" at 100 yds with federal blue box ammo 100 gr soft points. I clipped a coil off the trigger return spring on mine and got it down to 2 lb. 12 oz. and can still adjust it up or down.

I got the aics magazine model but I think I like the flush magazine model a little better, have shot both. My predator model had better finish on the bolt body, as it was polished, the compact 243 model wasn't as smooth a finish on the bolt, but hey that thing would shoot 1/2" at 100 yds with federal blue box ammo 100 gr soft points. I clipped a coil off the trigger return spring on mine and got it down to 2 lb. 12 oz. and can still adjust it up or down.
I have the same gun also in 6.5cm but with a factory camo stock. I think it may be a gunbroker exclusive as I haven’t seen this same camo anywhere else. I added a cheek riser to mine. I have really liked mine. I paid just over $400 and mine shoots great as wellD992ABD9-1D6F-479F-957B-5E06C0BF299B.jpeg

I have a Ruger American Ranch Rifle chambered for .223. It shoots very well and with the 16" barrel, handles nicely in tight places. It has become my dedicated truck gun. So far this year it has accounted for 3 deer, 4 coyotes, a bobcat and I've lost count on the number of armadillos. It really likes 60 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips @ 3200fps. I have two other Ruger American rifles, both 22lr. I look at the Americans as the Timex Watches of my guns, not the fanciest, slickest or even the absolutly most accurate, but a really good value for the price.

bstorric, I do really like the looks of your gun. where did you get the cheek piece? looks like it needs two holes drilled to attach, am I right? thanks for the pic, I may even get a timney trigger for this this gun.

michiganmuzzy, what size punch do I need for the trigger roll pins, if ya remember. thanks

Love the American also! I have the compact in .243 and the ranch in .300 blk. They both shoot wonderful. The compact totes a 3x9x50 crossfire II and the ranch carries a 2x7x32 vxII these small frame Florida deer hate those 120 grn sig ht all coppers. They usually don't make it more than 20 yrds apart after I introduce the two. They compact ain't never seen nothing but 100 grn core lokt. I like em and so does it. Shoots a 3 in. 5 shot group at 250 yards and has killed many hogs for me

I bought one of these rifles with the 22" barrel after setting up a compact model in 243 for my wifes niece and that gun really shot great. bought the 6.5 CM because I already had the dies and bullets and powder etc. and it really shoots awsome. the bolt doesnt lock in place on a chambered round so you have to watch that when walking etc. and the feeding and extraction was a little catchy at first but it has smoothed out, but for the money I'm very happy. took two does the other day at around 230 yds. and it seemed easy. haven't had time to really try different loads much yet because it was bought after the deer season came in but I have been shooting the hammer all copper bullets in it with ramshot hunter and h4350 powders. the predator model barrel is a medium weight that seems just right, I don't even have to hold the front of the gun, just lay it up on the rest or my bog pod shooting sticks. kip
Congratulations!
Last summer I started looking for a 6.5mm Creedmoor rifle. From reviews I 1st searched for a Mossberg Patriot 6.5 mm PRC which I found a good deal. Then after searching for ammo I decided to go with the 6.5mm Patriot version after finding two locally.
It's a good value rifle and comes with a fluted floated barrel. The drop box is nice. The bolt doesn't lock in place loaded which can backup while carrying with sling.
The molded stock was replaced due to contacting the barrel in the forearm area under warranty. This issue caused groups to spray. Once replaced good results came quickly.
Had some issues with getting enough ammo but consistency paid off.
I recently took a large doe at 112 yards with 140gr Hornady Black load. She dropped immediately .

20211115_083946.jpg

20210806_150917.jpg

bstorric, I do really like the looks of your gun. where did you get the cheek piece? looks like it needs two holes drilled to attach, am I right? thanks for the pic, I may even get a timney trigger for this this gun.
That is correct about the two holes. It was very easy to do. I just put the cheek riser on approximately where I wanted it to be and marked the holes. I bought it on ebay from a seller who makes them himself but there are several sources to buy them from including amazon

thanks ya'll for the responses, may have to ease out this evening and see whats moving out there, the wind is pretty strong though today.

I bought the 3/32 punches off ebay and recieved them already, will definitely get a timney for this gun. the stock trigger is decent though especially after I cut a coil off the trigger return spring.

I bought the 3/32 punches off ebay and recieved them already, will definitely get a timney for this gun. the stock trigger is decent though especially after I cut a coil off the trigger return spring.
I might have to look in to doing that on mine. I’m so used to my hawken and renegade 1/2lbs triggers, a two pound trigger seems like it’s stuck until it isnt

It seems timney makes a single stage trigger for the ruger american and can be adjusted from 1.5-4 pounds, that would be good for hunting purposes.

after cutting a turn off the spring I can get this trigger down to 2 lbs no problem, but with my fingers being so very weak from nerve damage I'm thinking the timney may be a step up in my case. I just never really cared for the accu trigger type feel, even though this one does great, I think a single trigger blade is where it's at for me.

I bought a Ruger American in .243Win earlier this year. Was considering the 6.5cm but I think there are benefits in a 6mm platform. I really like the Ruger American action and I've modded the trigger down to just over a pound. The plastic stock had to go, replaced with a laminated Boyd's Spike Camp. The 34mm body glass is an Arken 6-24x50 FFP mRAD. I hand load using LaPua brass, Federal 210M primers, 105 grain Nosler and Hornady match bullets, AA4350 powder. The stock Ruger 22" bbl is good but limiting for the long range shooting I prefer. I just got a Preferred Barrels 26" s/s bbl with a .243Win match chamber that I'll be installing when the PTG go-nogo gauges arrive.

LaMCO2h.jpg

I prefer heavy bullets for long range but I did dabble with lightweight bullets and Varget powder ...

nx7cUnu.jpg

Latest posts

Back