Sabot indexing?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlV

Reaction score
Being kind of new to in-line ML'ing I am still learning.

I occasionally run across a post where the poster says he "indexed the sabot."

Could someone explain to me what that means.

Is it one of the variables that leads to better accuracy?

Thanks, Carl

I do not know if it is needed but for consistency I put the slit in the sabot in the same place in the barrel every time. Even the bullet tip on the SSTs I use is put in similarly. It may not help but it certainly does not hurt. Everything is lined up on each shot in the same way by indexing.
Some even weigh each bullet, sabot and measure the sabots for consistency in size, I do not go that far.

CarlV

When I here the term indexing... I am one of those that always, at the range, places the sabot in the barrel with a petal directly under the front sight.... How much difference it makes????? but I fell better...

I understand that indexing a sabot means to place the sabot where two lands in your barrel are in contact with each petal on a sabot. I'm not sure if this makes for better accuracy, but it does help in loading pressure consistency.
Zen

The term indexing as we generally us it means to place the sabot in an exact position. Some of us have determined that position on a particular gun by looking at our shot sabots and finding the position that lets all the rifling bear on the sabot petals. This is applying the pressure to the bullet evenly. It appeared to me that the first hundred shots after I started doing it that it reduced the number of fliers considerable, since I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to that many shots I now index my sabots. Lee

Carl,

I always try to index my sabots for better consistency by figuring out where the lands will bear fully on the petals. Now this is easy with a 8 land and groove barrel, and a 4 petal sabot. Once you figure out which way your rifling is going to move accross the petals, try to line up one land wher it starts about where the petal meets the base, it will angle accross the petal to where the land next to it runs out at the opposite end and side of the petal. Some of them have a huge gap between petals so you will have to figure out where it works best.

Now with that said, I have an older MK-85 and a White G-series that have only six lands and grooves. I also have a White M-98 Elite that has a Bo Clerke barrel with 7 lands and grooves. You can still figure out the best place to index these where the sabot petals are maximized.

For you non-believers, next time you shoot load one sabot where two lands ride on each petal, then load one where the four lands are riding right down the split and the other four dead center in the petal. You will imediately notice how easy the last one loads. This is why people say some load very hard and then one goes in real easy. I guarantee you will shoot more accurately and get more consistant velocities if you optimize your sabots.

Once you figure it out, it is real easy to repeat. It is easier with a rifle that has a front site, my Disc Elite is a little tougher.

CarlV..... excellent question!

Thanks everyone for your answers. I will try this advice when I go to the range this week! (I REALLY LIKE this forum!!! :D )

sabotloader said:
CarlV

When I here the term indexing... I am one of those that always, at the range, places the sabot in the barrel with a petal directly under the front sight.... How much difference it makes????? but I fell better...

That's EXACTLY what I do....although Busta's method may be better...

Dang Busta, your method makes so much sense that I had to slap myself for not thinking of that. OUCH! That hurt.

It's a logical explanation for the differences in resistance loading with the same batch of sabots.

Indexing sabots

I mark the muzzle pemanently with a scrach awl, Knife blade ect. I want to be able to allign my sabot perfectly and quickly every time.
Wayles

great little tip. i had never thought of doing this. I will try it next time. Shooting a triumph with the QLA where the rifeling starts about 1/2 inch below the end of the barrel may make it harder to find where it lines up on all four petals

Thanks all for the explanations and suggestions on indexing.

It surely bears some thought and experimentation.

More SHooting!!!

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back