Sabot Issues?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tar-12

Reaction score
Give me your thoughts on this one. I have noticed that several guys,here and elsewhere, have had accuracy fall off after x-amount of shots. It seems to run in the 60-120 shot range when this occurs. Could it just be that the the barrel is finally "broken-in"? And that the once really tight fitting, tack driving load is drifting as a result?Tell me if this is to far fetched. Has anybody measured the bore diameters,before and after to determine if this is plauseable?Maybe I need to hit the egg nog again! :lol:

Maybe they need to clean their breech plug or put in a new vent liner. :roll: Really I would think any accuracy falloff after only that many shots would have to be one of the two or both. :wink:

Tar-12 said:
Could it just be that the the barrel is finally "broken-in"?
Just wondering here, but how can a barrel be "broken in" or get "looser" by only shooting plastic sabot encased bullets? :think: Shooting sabots, there is never any metal to metal contact to wear down the rifling. Seems to me that the only way that could possibly happen would be from wear from a ramrod or jag making contact in the barrel. Anyone else have a thought on this? :?:

I was wondering the same thing. How could plastic remove anything in the way of metal.

I have shot atleast four pounds of powder with my HB Savage. When things go south, it's just time to clean and drill out Breech plug. Then everything is back to normal. 8)

Nic_58 said:
Tar-12 said:
Just wondering here, but how can a barrel be "broken in" or get "looser" by only shooting plastic sabot encased bullets? :think: Shooting sabots, there is never any metal to metal contact to wear down the rifling. Seems to me that the only way that could possibly happen would be from wear from a ramrod or jag making contact in the barrel. Anyone else have a thought on this? :?:
I did not mean several thousandths of wear, as you stated above it could be a combo of all the above?Just enough to take the new crispness of the edge of the rifling?I have not experienced this my self, Just looking for answers to the unexplained accuracy changes in some of these guns for no apparent reason.

Nic_58 said:
Tar-12 said:

Right...none....zero...zilch... barrel wear from sabots. Ramrod, jag not likely but maybe an insignificant amount of wear.

Erosion from the heat of expanding gases might cause a little "wear" but I would think that this would be insignificant also.

Tar-12 said:
Could it just be that the the barrel is finally "broken-in"? And that the once really tight fitting, tack driving load is drifting as a result?Tell me if this is to far fetched.

It is far fetched.

Grouse said:
I have shot atleast four pounds of powder with my HB Savage. When things go south, it's just time to clean and drill out Breech plug. Then everything is back to normal. 8)

Yes, it is just that simple :wink:

Darrell,Tom that is excactly what I do when accuracy falls off. You guys have read the posts, where they clean everthing, and it will not shoot the same, but it did before.

Tar-12,

Here is the "problem," or at least a source of confusion when it comes to "accuracy." Accuracy is rarely defined.

We say and read "helps accuracy," or "hurts accuracy"-- but seldom is that quantified into group size. Helps how much, exactly? Hurts how much, exactly? It is the exactly part that is either vague or not mentioned at all.

How often have you read that a combination has "GOOD" accuracy? I have no idea whatsoever what that might mean to one person, much less to every one. "My gun shoots good. My gun shoots poorly. I get good accuracy. I get bad accuracy."

That is how myths and urban legends start, and they just grow from there. Very, very rarely is good accuracy defined.

No one I know has ever said that they missed a deer by one half of one inch, or even missed their clean kill by one inch. Only Maxwell Smart ever missed it by "That much! :? :shock:

Tar-12 said:
Darrell,Tom that is excactly what I do when accuracy falls off. You guys have read the posts, where they clean everthing, and it will not shoot the same, but it did before.

I have seen the post's. Most of the time i believe it's the shooters fault. Smokeless Muzzleloaders still need cleaned. My new Savage is a perfect example. I have shot 44grns of 4759 thru it. I believe that is reaching 2300 or even 2400fps with a 250grn bullet. I believe now i have some fouling in it and it really needs cleaned and scrubbed out good. You by no means need to shoot a Muzzleloader over 2000fps. Learn your trajectory and work on your hunting skills. :wink:

My HB Savage has never seen 2000fps. 45 grns of 5744 with a 260grn Dead Center is the fastest load i ever shot. I think average MV with that load is 1970fps. When it starts not shooting, i just bring it home and clean it with Hoppes. Then everything is back to normal.

There are people who hunt fields and have no choice but to shoot far away. Those people using high velocity loads, i believe need to spend a little more time cleaning their barrels and getting all the fouling and plastic out. When that is done they probably wont have any problems. I'm doing that right now. :)

Tar-12 said:

I think it's user error plain and simple. :wink:

Hey Rick - Are you using this as an excuse for your boy getting too good with his MLII? :poke: :lol: You'll have to think of a few more as he gets better though! :D Rick

getonit said:
Hey Rick - Are you using this as an excuse for your boy getting too good with his MLII? :poke: :lol: You'll have to think of a few more as he gets better though! :D Rick
You know I may have to start the excuse book pretty soon! :lol: He is getting pretty handy with a variety of firearms. It may reach the point where old age and treachery is needed to when the shooting contests! 8)

Back