Sabot questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc5000

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading posts in this and other muzzleloading forums, and it looks like most shooters prefer .45 cal bullets in .50 cal rifles when shooting saboted bullets. Do saboted .45 cal bullets perform better than .44 cal ones?
50/45 sabots have thinner petals than 50/44. Is that better for accuracy?

Thanks,
Marc

There's just a greater selection of .451/.452 diameter bullets and .50 cal. sabots to match them. That's the main reason that most folks shoot them in their .50 cal. muzzleloaders.

I don't know that the thinner petals have a bearing on accuracy because I've shot 200 gr. Shockwaves which are .40 cal. in my .50 cal. Omega. They have produced some great accuracy out of it. The petals on the blue MMP 50/40 sabots are very thick but that doesn't seem to affect their accuracy.

I with Nic_58 on this one. I shoot both the 200 gr and 250 gr. shock- waves out of my Encores/pro hunters for accuracy testing and have loads for both bullet weights.

I hunt with the 200gr shock-wave almost exclusively...dead right there most of the time.

Choc-dog

Marc5000 said:
Hello,

I've been reading posts in this and other muzzleloading forums, and it looks like most shooters prefer .45 cal bullets in .50 cal rifles when shooting saboted bullets. Do saboted .45 cal bullets perform better than .44 cal ones?
50/45 sabots have thinner petals than 50/44. Is that better for accuracy?

Thanks,
Marc

It depends on your rifle. Some like tighter fitting bullet/sabot combinations. Only way to find out is try them and see for yourself.

Back