Scope ring/base torque?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely recommend using a torque wrench. The torque specs for most rings are usually pretty low and it's very easy to overtighten. Doing so can damage your scope. It's also much easier to twist off the heads on the bolts of cheaper mounts. I did that before back when I believed that "tighter was better" I have the Wheeler Fat Wrench and think it's worth the money for sure.

I torque mine also, once believed tighter is better also until I snapped a head off the torx screw. Went out and also got the Fat Wrench years ago and always use it now. Amazing how little some manufacturers want the rings tightened, sometimes only 20 in lbs. If nothing listed on the packages I usually put 28 inlbs on the base and 22inlbs on the rings. Loctite is also used. So far no problems.

been looking at the FAT wrench . do you folks use or recommend the digital or mechanical version ?

been looking at the FAT wrench . do you folks use or recommend the digital or mechanical version ?
I recommend the mechanical type. Its less $ and a long used, reliable system that works. The digital ones are usually very reliable too but it is still slightly more prone to failures. This is based on conversations with my tool salesman who would make more $ selling me the digital version but wants my repeat business. Always back a torque wrench off to zero when you are done using it, regardless which type you get.

Yes, proper torque is a necessity for rings and bases. Using a Fat wrench or a torque wrench that measures in inch pounds is also a necessity. It is also best to use the manufacturers recommendations for torque values. Most all ring and base screws are different sizes and grade material requiring specific fastener stretch for proper assembly. Failure of following instructions can result in broken screws or loose mounts.

I have the mechanical one and am happy with it. And yes, it's somewhat surprising how "little" torque that rings require. When you feel what 20 in pounds actually feels like---it ain't that tight. I found out that I had always been severely over tightening for years without knowing it.

thanks folks , i'll get the mechanical version when i'm ready .
10-4 on return to zero . i do that with my 1/2 inch harbor freight i keep for tires and just in case .

Back