See how big a wolf is

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My youngest brother and I spent a week or so in the BWCA in northern Minn. 9 years ago. We drove to Ely one day to replenish supplies. On the dirt 2-track a wolf crossed about 25 feet in front of us. The top of his head was as high as the Chevy truck's hood. He circled around the truck just in the edge of the woods and crossed back the way he had come. We estimated his weight at 175 lbs. He was huge. ... He was also totally unafraid.

I had seen wolves before in the Lamar valley of Yellowstone several times but those wolves were scrawny and looked like larger coyotes. That Minnesota wolf was a MAN!

Same experience in Canada many times, Yellowstone wolves are wimps, those ranchers around Yellowstone Park would have heart attacks if their wolves were the size of what you mentioned.

The wolves in northern Colorado are of the smaller size like the Yellowstone wolves. 

Had a friend that had a 7/8's wolf hybrid Yellowstone size. Dick would take "Timber" on scouting trips for elk, we were at a spot were we had seen good elk beds. Dick and "Timber" took off to check a valley on the other side of the hill. After a few hours we saw who we thought was "Timber" and started calling him, the animal just stood there until we were within 75 yards (not afraid at all) then left going down the other side of the ridge. We started following him thinking it was "Timber" and he had gotten off his lease. After an hour we run across Dick and "Timber". Damn that was the real deal .... a wolf.

dicktrimber.jpg
our2ndcrew.jpg
"Timber" doesn't look that big here, but when standing next to my German Shepard he's a head taller (our Shepard is standard height per the charts for show animals of this breed).

Both the owner and the wolf have moved on to the other side now.

Here's a couple pics of a large black wolf from a story in Canada a few years back.  It's a good comparison to a normal sized Labrador retriever:

hCGNYp.jpg

3mhWxz.jpg

Those labs are dumb. I always thought they were intelligent until now.  :shock:

patocazador said:
Those labs are dumb. I always thought they were intelligent until now.  :shock:
 No they know the wolf is on drugs and is waiting his next fix, drugs Bob not meat .....   :drunken:    :geek:

Latest posts

Back