Sharon Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Johnson

Reaction score
For someone wanting to try a blast from the past that has the potential of becoming an excellent rifle, there is a Sharon Hawken kit in .50 for sale on Armslist. Seller says it was purchased in 1976.
For those not familiar with the name, Sharron was a first rate barrel maker, that used quality parts in the kits.
There was a lively thread on a Facebook group last night discussing this kit. Several considered it the same thing as a Traditions Hawken. Not knocking Tradions, but there ain't no comparison to this kit.

Agreed. Sharon was a competitor to Green River Rifle works. But I dont think they ever achieved the recognition that GRRW did. I know Gun Works in Oregon has had a Sharon Rifle for sale for sometime. If it were a GRRW it would not still be there. Al

My Hawken has a Sharon barrel on it although it is not a Sharon kit. I don't think that a better barrel was made in it's time. I built my rifle in about 1974 and at that time it was considered there was not a better barrel on the market. It still shoots plum center if I do my part. That kit would should be a great shooter. Wish I could afford something like that.

Sharon barrels were very good but the barrels on the GRRW guns were no slouches. They were very good shooters.

I see the "GUN WORKS" has a .54 cal Sharon Hawken for sale on Armslist also.

Back