Shooting sticks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. It irritates me watching these Alaska shows and the women tries to freehand shoot at several hundred yards. There is a snowmobile or the snow itself with a backpack thrown on it would increase her chances by the hundreds. A bi pod while leaning against a tree or stationary object is nearly as good as a benchrest.

Depends on the situation. I’ve used various shooting sticks, bipods and tripods ( Harris bipod, BOG-pod shooting sticks, Hog saddle with tripod, etc). Currently my favorites are a Spartan bipod, or Spartan Davros head with a carbon fiber tripod. Depends on what terrain I’m hunting, how far from the truck Im hiking and how far the average shot is anticipated to be. Most of my shots are 100-300 yards. I always use some sort of rest: backpack, bipod or a tripod.

I've used the Pole Cat shooting sticks for almost 25 years. Works just fine and doesn't weigh much. I have the taller set so that I can shoot standing up if shooting over tall grass.

I prefer the Primos Monopod because it is easy to carry and extremely quick to adjust. I am almost always hunting on the ground, and never from a blind. If I was hunting from a blind I would use a tripod, probably the Primos with the Bog Death Grip attachment (I use this set up sometimes when coyote hunting for extra stability for extremely long range shots.

If I have the room by all means I prefer my bog pod death grip tripod

Greg

In Europe back in the day, when I was part of DOD/DIA etc we caught a few "belligerents"(PC name for Tangos) who used a 6ft length of rope as their rifle rest. They would loop it around a tree. stick the rifle barrel through it and twist it once or twice, instant rest. It worked very well to steady the shot.

Made one this weekend. "Cave Dweller" on YouTube has a short video and the sticks are fully adjustable and customizable. 2 dowels, 2 nails, some small caliber rope/twine. Carry a piece of leather for the "crotch"

I carry the Primos Monopod also , Its light easy to use and not in the way while traveling .Usually clipped to my climber or my backpack.

I was in my local BassPro store with my Bil from Iowa . We happened upon the aisle of the shooting sticks. My B.I.L.. asked if I used them.Being frugal by nature [cheep] I asked him if he carried a pair of pruners. He said yes ,I replied I cut my own recyclable monopod .I cut a 3 ft sapling about 3/4 in . in diameter. To shoot with it, I grasp it in 4 fingers of my left hand,using the web between index finger and thumb to cradle the gun.Try it at your next range session.It really tightened up my groups.

I designed my sticks back in 2007. I have used mine on every hunt I have been on. I have three sizes. 48", 36", and 15" set. I designed them with arrow inserts in the foot end so I could use either a metal spike/field point or a rubber blunt point. The leather strap allows the gun to recoil and not be affected by hard pressure points from the sticks. Here is a video and pictures of mine.

Attachments

• 20170609_111203.jpg
    20170609_111203.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170609_111040.jpg
    20170609_111040.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170609_112254.jpg
    20170609_112254.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170730_073504.jpg
    20170730_073504.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 14
Absolutely. It irritates me watching these Alaska shows and the women tries to freehand shoot at several hundred yards. There is a snowmobile or the snow itself with a backpack thrown on it would increase her chances by the hundreds. A bi pod while leaning against a tree or stationary object is nearly as good as a benchrest.
I’d bet the producers edit out the part where she rests from her snow machine. Doesn’t look as cool but every rifleman knows it’s how it’s done. Especially if you’re hungry…

Second vote for the Primos Trigger Stick tripod. It works as a low tripod in a Turkey blind, high tripod for long distance shots, and a quick, easy carry/silently expanding monopod for stalking/still hunting.

I would not do anything other than stand hunting without one. Even then I would probably have it with me in case an opportunity arises on the way to or from the stand…

Latest posts

Back