Shooting the White a couple days ago

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Image3aaa.jpg

A few days ago I wanted to shoot. I knew the Bushnell Elite was pretty much on at 75 yards so I set up the bench (later to shoot with range finder and discover it was at 80 yards) and wanting something small to aim at.. on my Birchwood Casey Shoot N-C targets they have two small 3/4 inch stickers to show you how the small bulls eyes work. One reads "before" like this one does, and the other after. So I taped that to a small paper plate and shot at it five time to check the scope. I sure wish that fifth shot had not pulled, that would have been an pretty good group. Shooting 70 grains of Swiss 3f and using a wad. Also swabbing between shots.

1111111a.jpg

I then moved back to 100 yards (according to the range finder) and changed powders to Pyrodex P. I decided to adjust the scope for that distance on a new large shoot and see target dot. The first three were low, so a few clicks the wrong way and then a little more adjusting finally got me shooting dead on at the bulls eye.

Img_0651.jpg

I then upped the powder charge, put up another little sticker target and shot for a group. The White shot perfect, but perhaps it was the humidity or something. If I did not swab the barrel, when I loaded the next conical I could feel the filth in the barrel. The two shots outside and high were second shots where I tried not to swab. When I did swab, it just layed them in that Shoot N-C target pretty nice. I want to repeat all of this but with different powders. After shooting those conicals, I had enough for the day. Plus the action of the gun was getting kind of dirty so I called it quits...

I might add that the .451 is topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm with rainguard and firefly and that is just an excellent scope. I like my Nikon scopes a lot but this Bushnell is just sweet. Sabotloader and Batchief told me about the Bushnell Elite. It is the first one I have ever used, but if they ever came on sale again, I would purchase a couple more just to have on hand. I like the eye relief, the focus, the clarity is excellent, and being a 32mm does not seem like a disadvantage so far....

Can anyone guess what the BC of a 488 grain conical in .451 diameter would be?

While other grunt, groan and worry over new powders - Dave just keeps punching holes in the bullseye with his Whites. :wink:

Underclocked.. what do you think the drop of that conical will be at 150 yards. I have it sighted in at 100. A friend saw my target and asked me if that was a max range. I told him the bullet could do a lot of damage out to 200 yards I felt on a deer size target. So he wanted me to come to his field and try some 150 yard shooting. I am guessing aim about six inches high???

This is more guess than anything, but I would put your impact at 150 to be 8 to 9" low with that load.

There might be a good reference on your reticle at max power. Be a nice coincidence. Run out and check it. :D

That's good shooting Dave!

Of the three powders...Which do you think your rifle prefers?

I KNOW which one Bat prefers! :lol:

My Ultra Mag really likes Triple Se7en 3f. My Bison likes Pyrodex P. And my M97 .451 seems to shoot about anything I want to shove down the barrel but it shoots sweet with Swiss 3f and Pyrodex P.

Try the Swiss in the U-Mag and the Bison. 8) Not that I'm prejudice er nuttin'.... :roll: :lol:

Looks like the (hopefully unlubed) wads helped a smidge too. 8) :wink:

Chuck's keepin' that bottle of Swiss on his mantle..... :lol: :wink:

I am down to about 1/4 of a pound of Swiss 3f. I really thought five pounds would have lasted me longer. I still got a case of other black powders in 2 & 3f grades, and lots of Triple Se7en and Pyrodex from a Wal Mart sale.

I got the wads from that place Batchief I think told me about called Mike's. I have been using the .50 caliber in the .451 unlubed

With that load you should be in the 1100-1150 fps range. That would put it about 10.5" low at 150 if sighted dead on at 100, and about 2.8" high at 60 yards. Energy is still over 1000 fpe at 250 yards, where it would be 57" below line of sight if sighted in at 100 yards. The wind drift numbers are very good though, especially if you keep it subsonic.

Yeah, I sold that one. I might regret it, of course there is still another I have in the back of my safe. :wink: One of these days I would like to get one in .410 or one of Docs new ones in .367. I think that one would be the ticket as it shoots a roughly 300 gr bullet at good speed without a sabot. I would think it would be a true 200 yard gun.

Latest posts

Back