Shot placement vs. Bullet design?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spence

Reaction score
I have always shot deer aiming for the heart / lung area, so just shooting through ribs and vitals. Had a bad experience last year when I shot a deer at 40 yds with a 245-250 gr. powerbelt w/ ballistic tip. Small hole in small hole out. On snow, I could not find blood except for a few small droplets over a 70 yd distance before the deer went into cover, where I did not pursue because I was figuring I caught her in the gut and I didn't want to push her. She was found the next morning 25 yds from where I stopped looking and was hit nicely where I wanted and had caught some lung. I have shot the Barnes expander which grouped fairly well at 100 and also the tipped MZ which I'm going to try on deer, that also shoots well. Are some shooters aiming for shoulder bone or elsewhere that I should consider with a harder or less expandind bullet design? What's your prefered shot and bullet combo? I either want to drop 'em or have a good blood trail in case there isn't snow!

Spence,

I asked the same thing. I will find my post. I am shotgun hunter. So we always just put in the front ribs behind the leg. These boys are telling us to put in on the shoulder, they gave diagrams. It's them running with a double lung or loose some shoulder meat for choices. It sounds like multiple makes of bullets do it, shockwaves as a example. I prefer to drop them and cut around the shoulder.

Read this:
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=10386

Should help...bad feeling huh?

ramitupurs84 said:
Spence,

I asked the same thing. I will find my post. I am shotgun hunter. So we always just put in the front ribs behind the leg. These boys are telling us to put in on the shoulder, they gave diagrams. It's them running with a double lung or loose some shoulder meat for choices. It sounds like multiple makes of bullets do it, shockwaves as a example. I prefer to drop them and cut around the shoulder.

Read this:
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=10386

Should help...bad feeling huh?

both shots kill the deer dead...which is all we can ask for :p

I prefer shoulders which also deflates the lungs, but dead in the lungs is just as deadly

OOps. Batchief...

With what type of bullet are you dbl lungin'. I'm going to an expanding hollow point or soft ballistic tip for that.

There are a lot of angles to this discussion and it is probably one of the things there will never be complete agreement on; I have been hunting and taking deer since 1957 I quit counting at 100 deer. A lot of them were taken with a bow most of the rest with a muzzle loader. I aim at the crease behind the shoulder half way up the body quite often going into the shoulder on the far side. I consider this the perfect lung shot and no animal goes far after it quits being able to breath. Lee

I shoot through the front shoulders. Better to lose a little meat, than all of it.

The coyotes will eat the entire deer in a few hours.

Re: OOps. Batchief...

spence said:
With what type of bullet are you dbl lungin'. I'm going to an expanding hollow point or soft ballistic tip for that.

A 496gr. pure lead conical sized at .504.... 8)

hogbullet2.jpg

hogbullet.jpg

Leaves a hell of a blood trai if they go anywhere.. :lol:

placement

Batchief909, ha-ha-ha-ha, holy mackerel what a statement that makes. probably breaks their necks w/ the shock of the hit!

A picture is worth

A picture is worth a thousand words! 495 gr. I may just drop 2, 245 gr. pills down the bore! Just kiddin'. Have you had a shoulder blade hit with that chunk, if so, did it penetrate and still do enough damage internally or even exit?

I have hit a few in the blade with a 460 to 600 gr conical.
Not sure the bullet even knew the blade was there :D

Steve

Re: A picture is worth

spence said:
A picture is worth a thousand words! 495 gr. I may just drop 2, 245 gr. pills down the bore! Just kiddin'. Have you had a shoulder blade hit with that chunk, if so, did it penetrate and still do enough damage internally or even exit?

Spence,,,,,that bullet in the pic is actually one from my last trip to Loshboughs. That bullet was recovered after going through both shoulders on a 250 pound Russian boar at a distance of about 18 inches..... :shock: :wink: It was self-defense...

I've never recovered one of my Trashcans (or Ashcans like Chuck calls 'em cos ah smoke) from a deer. Last two were 107 and 152 yards lazered. Both pass-thrus. Here is a pic of a big old doe I took a few years ago. I was about 20 foot up a tree in my stand, and the doe quartering towards me right to left at around 40 yards. I placed the crosshairs on the lower left portion of her neck and pulled the trigger. The bullet entered exactly where I aimed,,,and exited out the right side of her ribcage. The last thing I saw was hooves in the air. She didn't know what hit her.

exskin.jpg

Now mind you,,,I'm only using 72gr. of Swiss 3F powder in my White Super 91s. :wink:

Would you rather be hit by a semi going 50mph or a Yugo going 70mpg...... 8) :wink:

Oooooh!

Oh my :shock: We should change your name to Truck driver! Seems like more than enough power for any hit plus expansion for soft area hits. Why are you at that weight? Don't they make em' any bigger?! :lol: Obviously that powder charge is what throws the "can" the most accurately? Right? Any idea of the muzzle velocity? 50-60 fps? :lol: How far can you shoot before she starts diving? Hope I'm not prying too much? I am not familiar with a White. Is it a modern in-line, and can I experiment with these monsters out of my CVA Kodiak? Thanks again for great input!

Re: Oooooh!

spence said:
Oh my :shock: We should change your name to Truck driver! Seems like more than enough power for any hit plus expansion for soft area hits. Why are you at that weight? Don't they make em' any bigger?! :lol: Obviously that powder charge is what throws the "can" the most accurately? Right? Any idea of the muzzle velocity? 50-60 fps? :lol: How far can you shoot before she starts diving? Hope I'm not prying too much? I am not familiar with a White. Is it a modern in-line, and can I experiment with these monsters out of my CVA Kodiak? Thanks again for great input!

1) They're free after alot of work casting, sizing, and lubing them
2)Yes,,,,lots bigger...but these work for most anything that walks,,breathes,,etc.
3)Yes,,,right around 1340fps
4) They dive after about 50 yards,,but with range time it's no big deal
5)Yes,,,one of the older inline guns designed to shoot conicals
6) No,,,,you'd likely hurt yourself

8)

70-80gr powder with the 460gr conical would be fine with the kodiak. To big for me as i need the extra range where i hunt.

I'll let UC show his 220yd target with his White. If ya can't get any closer than that,,,it ain't huntin'..... 8) I try to limit myself to 100 yards or less. 8)

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary... :wink:

That picture with the 2 red dots is interesting. Me personnally, I aim midway between the 2 spots.

Latest posts

Back