Should I start casting again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is worth around $2.20 A pound or around $2.50 per pound shipped, you can get about 40 pounds in a medium flat rate box. Those of you who think they have too much may want to consider selling to those who don't have enough. Use the money to buy caps/flints and powder or a new to you gun.
I only have about 50 pounds and wish i had double that.

I purchased 20 pounds from this place, seems to be quality product LEAD INGOTS | Seabrook Fishing Sinkers

They have a 25% off sale going which is just over $2 per pound with free shipping on 44 pounds. Only close price is Rotometals for a half pig or a whole pig.

I've also bought from a seller on muzzleloading forums, melted pipe and sheet which passed the 6B pencil test for soft lead.

With the size of the projectiles many of us cast, the pounds go fast! 7000 grains per pound or just shy of 22 rounds at 320 grains, or 40 of 177gr round ball (50 cal). The last time I cast I did just over 100 Lee REAL 50cal in 250gr and just over 100 in the 320gr sizes. A few over 50 pours each mold to make sure I could toss a few if needed and end with at least 100 each (over 8 pounds total). I need to get out and do some 45 ammo too.

Last edited:
I purchased 20 pounds from this place, seems to be quality product LEAD INGOTS | Seabrook Fishing Sinkers

They have a 25% off sale going which is just over $2 per pound with free shipping on 44 pounds. Only close price is Rotometals for a half pig or a whole pig.

I've also bought from a seller on muzzleloading forums, melted pipe and sheet which passed the 6B pencil test for soft lead.

With the size of the projectiles many of us cast, the pounds go fast! 7000 grains per pound or just shy of 22 rounds at 320 grains, or 40 of 177gr round ball (50 cal). The last time I cast I did just over 100 Lee REAL 50cal in 250gr and just over 100 in the 320gr sizes. A few over 50 pours each mold to make sure I could toss a few if needed and end with at least 100 each (over 8 pounds total). I need to get out and do some 45 ammo too.
I like to buy the 20:1 or 40:1 from Rotometals.

If you are needing alloy, really is best to buy from a company that specializes like Rotometals. They have access to larger supply so it can be a bit cheaper, tin is expensive to buy is smaller quantities, same with antimony.

Melting lead is fun. I probably have enough to last me a couple years, but I keep looking, keep melting. Maybe eventually I can sell some cheap to a friend... but I refuse to use or even melt wheel weights, too much antimony now a days.

Well I started casting for everything. First it was round balls which I still cast for my .58s and now for my new .36. I cast Maxi-balls and a couple other bullets for my .45 cals and 480 grainers for my .50s. I also cast a harder bullet for my .45-70 both 405 and 500 gr. 200 grainers for my 375 Win and 150 an 180 grain bullets for my 30-06.
I was lucky enough to find a guy here in FL that sold pure lead chips for $125 for 100 lb. All I need to do is buy tin when I want to cast a harder bullet.

Back