SHOW PICTCHERS OF RECOVERD BULLETS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hay fellas show some of your recoverd bullets from your harvests or your range tests :yeah:

I will start :D Becouse I don't have a DIDG. camera I can"t show any pics. BUT my bullet of choise is the Knight/Barns Spitfire TMZ 250 or 290gr Backed by 95gr of 777 2fg loose powder.

I recoverd the bullet from my buck last year and it did look just like the one that they show on BARNS web sight perfict.

took a frontal shot and the bullet was lodged aginst the bone in the rear hind legg bone.

Hopefully SANTA will bring me a DIDG. Camera this year!!!!!! :D

Here are some 300 grain Speer Gold Bonds recovered from damp sandy loam behind my 100 yard target. They were shot at around 1750 fps from the muzzle.
0014.jpg

P1020441.jpg

i had had terible luck with the shockwaves, accuracy was great but no expantion and no blood trails so i decided to try barnes tmz, i shot them both into a laundry basket ful of wet newspaper to check the expansion.

275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme taken from just under the hide on a ram:

275parker.jpg

weight275parker.jpg

lungbuster1

I would love to show you a recovered Nosler Partition - either a 260 grain from a whitetail or a 300 grain from an elk - but I can not - I have never recovered one...

I have various bullets that I have shot into water saturated clay water bar but do not think they would qualify as a recovered bullet from an animal...

Here are 4 bullets I've recovered from the dirt downrange from my target stand.

L-R are a Barnes 250 TMZ, Barnes 275 XPB, and the two on the right are 200 gr. Shockwaves.

IMGP0293.jpg

Recovered weights were 250 TMZ = 246.9, 275 XPB = 274.4, 200 Shockwave = 141.4, 200 Shockwave = 165.8

Both Barnes bullets were shot with a Savage using smokeless powder and the two Shockwaves were shot in an Omega using Triple Se7en FFg.

The barnes 250 spitfire was recovered from an 11 point.The pr dead center 240 gr was recovered from a 10 point.No blood trail on either deer,neither one went over 80 yds before recovery.Pretty good preformance by both bullets I'd say,although both deer were shot through the shoulder bone I would have hoped to have some kind of blood trail to follow. I'm still searching for the right mix of flat trajectory and deep penetration.The problem with m'loaders is you can't really tell where you hit anything or which direction it runs because of the smoke! Believe me,I'd love to drop all deer right where they stand but it just doesn't work out that way all the time......For the guy's that say they always get a pass through, I wonder if your shooting deer that weigh close to 200# on the hoof or if your shooting mostly does or young bucks??? There's a big difference in shooting young deer and shooting bucks that have some age to them.Good bucks don't just fall over very often.

mboro10point024.jpg

fb85511e.jpg

This is the simple roundball. It is from a .54 caliber Renegade Rifle. I was shooting 80 or 90 grains of Pyrodex RS at the time. The first deer was approximately 80 yards away. The ball blew through him, dropping him dead on the spot. The ball then travelled another 15 feet or so and broke the spine on a doe that I never saw, standing behind the first one. I had tags to cover my mistake of course but recovered the ball against the skin and spine of the second deer when I butchered. The second deer was not dead of course, just down with a broken back.

The best part was a friend and I were hunting together. He had just left my location and was hardly a 100 yards from me. When he heard the shot, he came back and the surprise on his face when he seen the two deer laying there was priceless. He had kidded me all morning about using a muzzleloader with no scope, during modern rifle season, when I had two tags to fill up.

I use 460 gr .451 cal NE bullets, I don't have any to show :cry: . They all go through the deer out to 90 yards (farthest I have shot one) and drop most of them on the spot.

Wait, maybe that should be :D ....

Wow Dave! Two deer with one bullet! I do admire you for using your Renegade during modern rifle season. That's the kind of experience you'll remember for the rest of your life. I keep telling myself that I should shoot blackpowder during regular rifle elk season, but I always chicken out at the last minute. This year I passed on a 3x3 bull (not legal) at just 20 feet away during muzzleloader season, then bagged a cow at 50 feet with my 30.06 during regular rifle. It was a great hunt, but I would have been more satisfied had I used my muzzleloader. Maybe next year I'll step up and do all my hunting with a muzzy.

BPHunter - I have used a muzzleloader for so many years, it seems very natural to me. When I hunted the southern end of the state I did shoot center fire rifles. I used 30-06 & 7mm Mag but ut was really not as much fun as a muzzleloader. Of course we had to shoot hundreds of yards across corn fields down there.

I never felt under gunned with a muzzleloader. I've always trusted them for a one shot deal. Although if I hunt fields now, I shoot inline rifles with scopes. But most my shots in the north here are 50 yards or less.

When this accident with the two deer happened, this friend and I that morning walked in to the hardwoods, all the way in he chewed me out about bringing that Renegade with open sights when I had so many tags to fill. Then when he had left me on stand (and I honestly thought he was sneaking back to the stand as a joke when I heard the deer walk in) and I shot those deer, he stood on the hill yelling down to me.. "Buck or Doe" and I would yell back.. "Ya!" He then yelled again, "Buck or Doe" and I yelled "Ya!" When he walked down he said.. there's two ^#f** deer there. You only shot once didn't you? So I joked.. I waited for them to line up.. didn't want to waste the ball and powder. Well he believed me. He went back to the local tavern and told everyone I was too cheap to shoot twice and was shooting two at a time. They all had a good laugh on me. Even after I told them it was a mistake.

Back