Sight picture?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panhandle

Reaction score
I shot my Hawken today for the first time. I remember now why I was so happy when Nebraska allowed us to put scopes on our muzzleloaders. I have nothing against shooting with iron sights but my eyesight is not what it used to be. I was wondering what you guys think is best on sight pictures. Do you cover the target with your bead or hold at 6 oclock to form a figure 8 with your bead and the bulls eye. In the past I've always covered the bulls eye with the bead but now I can't seem to get a distinct focus that way. I'm open for all ideas and opinions for old eyes that wear glasses. I don't really want to put a scope on this rifle.
Thanks....Zen

6 o'clock here. Just slide the bullet in over the top of the bead. If target shooting, I hold at 6, but have the sights adjusted to hit center. Hunting - slide it over the top. Peep sights work really well for me - you have a choice of apertures, too, depending on available light. I would stay away from a Globe type front, though. Evening shots are tough with low light and a Globe. A combination front sight like Midway #441-239 looks like the best of both worlds, but expensive. I don't like fiber optics, either. Green is okay, but red screws me up.

For those of us with glasses...home brew diopter sight

If you wear glasses and have trouble focusing on your front and rear sight and distant target, give this a try fellas...take a piece of black electrical tape about 1/2" square or so, punch or cut a small hole in the center of it and while your aiming over a rest with your rifle, stick the tape on the outside of your glasses lens and position the hole in the tape to where you have to sight through the hole to see your sight picture This simple trick simulates an expensive diopter sight, just experiment with the hole size, you will be suprised how much your sight picture clears up and how much clearer you can focus on sights/target at the same time.

I have the same problem as you do. And with fiber optics, if the lighting is wrong, its a nightmare to me. That's one reason since our state allows it, I put a 1x scope on the rifles. Unlimited eye relief, and that makes a much better aiming point to me. Otherwise I use a 6 o'clock hold. I never want to cover the spot where I watch my bullet hit.

no scope

i use 6 o,clock too for target. and aim dead on for buck hunting.

get yourself a pair of .50 reading glasses, that will correct problem ,if its not a wrong eye prescription.
i seen the.50 reading glasses work for almost everyone that had a good prescription, 2 guys had wrong power in their glasses and after getting a LESS power on their glasses,they did not need the .50 reading glasses.

you can buy the readers or at your next eye exam, have doc put a .50 on you and see if you can see a pencil point held at arms length CLEARER than you could with your regular power reader.

i wear contact lenses, i werar a .50 readers at range and now hunting too.

I AM DEADLY AGAIN ,I CAN SEE MY REAR AND FRONT SIGHTS GREAT AND TARGET IS JUST HAIR FUZZY, NOT ANY PROBLEM.

Sproulman, I am definately going to give that a try!

Flatlander: Do you actually hunt with a piece of tape over your glasses? If so how do you walk around with this in place?

I really think that sights and target being "fuzzy" is what is limiting my accuracy with open sights

the tape is just a small piece less than 1/2" in diameter, and you will find that when its in place it will be positioned kind of up by your eyebrow and out of the way of your normal line of sight. works for me anyway when hunting with open sights.

Back