Sight Recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhnut1973

Reaction score
I’m looking to upgrade the sights on my renegades and I need some recommendations. I will use the sights for hunting in the southeast and no more than 50-100 yards. I am considering Williams fiber optic or possibly peep and globes by Lyman. What are your experiences with hunting sights and are there any others worth looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Sight Recommendations

I personally LOVE Peep Sights, But they can be a BIG disadvantage in low light hunting situations. Nearly Every Rifle i own has Peep sights on them with 17 Series Globe front sights that i can interchange the inserts in, I use very fine Lee Shaver’s BPCR inserts in my Front sight Globes. I mostly shoot Bench/Targets. In low light hunting situations you will be hard pressed to beat Fiber optic open sights, you could always use a Tang Mounted peep with a bright Fiber optic bead front sight. Skinner makes a very simple yet very nice Peep sight called “The Renegade” That mounts in the existing rear sight holes of your renegade

http://www.skinnersights.com/images/TC_REN_1.jpg?871

I have 2 sets of Williams Fiber optic open sights that came with my Green Mountain LRH Barrels, they would also work well for hunting.

Idaholewis said:
I personally LOVE Peep Sights, But they can be a BIG disadvantage in low light hunting situations. Nearly Every Rifle i own has Peep sights on them with 17 Series Globe front sights that i can interchange the inserts in, I use very fine Lee Shaver’s BPCR inserts in my Front sight Globes. I mostly shoot Bench/Targets. In low light hunting situations you will be hard pressed to beat Fiber optic open sights, you could always use a Tang Mounted peep with a bright Fiber optic bead front sight. Skinner makes a very simple yet very nice Peep sight called “The Renegade” That mounts in the existing rear sight holes of your renegade

http://www.skinnersights.com/images/TC_REN_1.jpg?871

I have 2 sets of Williams Fiber optic open sights that came with my Green Mountain LRH Barrels, they would also work well for hunting.

Thanks for the link, that skinner sight is very interesting.

A quick update on my search for a better hunting sight for my Renegades. I was lucky enough to find a T/C fiber optic sight (#7758) BNIP in stock online so I bought that instead of the Williams. I was shocked when I found it because all my google searches came up dry. I’m gonna try to get to the range tomorrow to get zeroed then get out to the woods with it soon. I would still like to try a Skinner later on though. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Try R.M.C.-oxyoke they have a vpeep abt $60.00 works good I have one on my mountain rifle. not a full peep cause it has a v notch at the top of the rear site useing a 6 oclock hold you still see the target and have a peep to use. good in low light so far. I still kept my silver front blade with a beed on it.
coupe

coupe said:
Try R.M.C.-oxyoke they have a vpeep abt $60.00 works good I have one on my mountain rifle. not a full peep cause it has a v notch at the top of the rear site useing a 6 oclock hold you still see the target and have a peep to use. good in low light so far. I still kept my silver front blade with a beed on it.
coupe

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked out their website and they have some interesting options.

Here’s an update to the thread for anyone who gave suggestions. I ended up going with a T/C front and rear fiber optic sight setup for my .54 Renegade. I went to the range today and I am very happy with the results and I believe I am ready to chase some deer with it.

I also got a set of R.M.C. Sights for the T/C Hawken I just bought. I went with the fiber optic front and rear sight and a ghost ring insert to try as well. I can’t wait for my Hawken to get here and get out for some range work.

Thanks again for all the advice and here’s some range pics from shooting my .54 Renegade today.

The shot distance was 50 yards from a bench.

Load data- 80gr Goex 2F, .015 patch and .530 RB.

-80gr Goex 2F and 425gr Hornady GPB.

0f5390217255e8f12470df7afefe8643.jpg

Top group is PRB and the lower group is the GPB.

1d0d074485d2062b14dd185e3d96c195.jpg

Recovered patches seem to be in good shape.

38ff91a1db1345a6cb6b1d630291e5ab.jpg

1a723229a91e59afa3e3f76d516382a6.jpg

f5f74a252ff057579b683fe38b7ff39f.jpg

I love this rifle!

AWESOME Shootin!! It is really neat to see everything come together with these things :yeah: Nice Looking Rifle, Hard to beat a TC Renegade!

Latest posts

Back