Sighting in my CVA Wolf V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th Corps

Reaction score
Out to the range today. It was cold and blustery, snow later in the afternoon.
I'm having a time trying to get it sighted in. Originally shot it with the factory fiber optic sights installed, then mounted 2 different scopes. I am spraying rounds all over the target. Using 80 grains of 777 loose, under a T/C "cheap" sabot. i also tried I'm talking about a foot in any direction. I finally got it centered, but hitting about a foot above POA at 100 yards.
It's been fun but frustrating. I am not normally a scope shooter. I prefer iron's if I can get away with them.

Sighting in a muzzleloading rifle is essential, but you can use the “13-yard rule.” You adjust the sights or learn where to aim to hit dead-on at a target 13 yards away. When zeroed at that distance, your muzzleloader will be a bit high at 50 yards, almost right-on at 75 yards, and a little low at 100-yards. By getting a rifle to the group on a target at close range, you only need to fine-tune the rifle for longer ranges.

The Quick, Easy Way to Sight-In Your Muzzleloading Rifle - Black Powder, Hunting, Shooting, Whitetail Hunting Tips and How-To Guides | Guide Outdoors

Interesting ThreePoint

I once had an article published "The Rule of Three" For CF Cartidges

If your projectile shoots near 3000 FPS
If your projectile has a BC of .3 or more
If you sight in 3" high at 100
It will be 3" high at 200
3" low at 300
and 3" x 3" low at 400.

Not perfect but not too bad either.

Thanks for the tips.
I checked my rifle and the scope wiggled in the mounts. The mounts to the rifle are secure, it's the scope rings that are loose even though they were tight when I first started shooting.
I did try at 50 but my results were not satisfactory.
I will try the 13 yard rule.

I always use Loctite medium on my scope screws. That holds them securely. Different sabots can make a big difference in accuracy. Many folks have good luck with Harvester Crush Rib sabots. I find that if i call in an order, they give me a better deal on shipping.

NM just made us go to iron sights on our muzzleloaders. I ordered Williams Western Precision Sight Set for my Bergara .45 Encore barrel. It was an easy install, and seems way better than standard sights. We'll see how my old eyes do with it. I could not see the small dot on the reticle at 200 yards. I will need a thicker post to see at long range.

Out to the range today. It was cold and blustery, snow later in the afternoon.
I'm having a time trying to get it sighted in. Originally shot it with the factory fiber optic sights installed, then mounted 2 different scopes. I am spraying rounds all over the target. Using 80 grains of 777 loose, under a T/C "cheap" sabot. i also tried I'm talking about a foot in any direction. I finally got it centered, but hitting about a foot above POA at 100 yards.
It's been fun but frustrating. I am not normally a scope shooter. I prefer iron's if I can get away with them.
My brother has the Wolf and it likes 100grn of Pyrodex Rs with the Hornady Xtp 240s and the black sabot. I don't know who makes the sabot for em. I shoot the Hornady Xtp 240s with 80grn of Blackhorn measured not weighed out of my Accura V2 lr and it's a tack driver at 100yds!

Latest posts

Back