Sighting in my Omega!?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BukWild

Reaction score
Well, I have my m/l sighted in at 25yds,

100_1797.jpg

But then I moved out to 100yds, and I shot about 3.5" high,

100_1798.jpg

Now, I subscribe to the idea of sighting in @ 25yds, then moving out to 100yds and adjusting for windage. But with my m/l, it did not work out as well as normal as the second target indicates.
Now my question is, since I have it on paper, should I sight in @ 100, then move into 50 and 25 to see where I'm hitting.

So, how do you it?

I am shooting 2-Pyrodex 50gr pellets, 300gr Shockwave.
I am relying on some of you smokepole experts to give me your advice! Thanks!

First: We need to know if: It's scoped,or iron sights,second the velocity (or a close guess). My gun hits around 3/8 inch low at 25yds. This is with a scope mounted 1.5 inches high,and 3 50gr.Pyrodex pellets (150gr. load),and a 250gr. Shock Wave! Just a WAG :lol: try for 1/2 inch low at 25,and then go from there. All I ever use a 25yd range for is the inital setup of setting the windage,nothing else. Then (do yourself a favor) get a BIG peice of cardboard (appliance boxes work well) and some orange target dots,then shoot it at 100yds. Ron

Ron, it is scoped, and I have no flippin idea about the velocity. I shot some more today with 295gr PowerBelts and the verdict is out on these, the def did not group as well as the 300gr Shockwaves. But I like the idea of shooting full diameter. Any other loads, maybe the Harvester SaberTooth?
Anyway I got it shooting about 1" hig @ 50yds, so I think it will be close at 100. Before I had it shooting high at 25, and it shot 3.5" high @ 100.
These things sure are fun to figure out! Just need a range @ home, don't think my neighbors would like that much, or the police!

Buckwild

You can try the 300gr or 350gr SABER TOOTH But I think you are going to find that the OMEGAS DO NOT SHOOT Conicals very well I know mine Don't .

as far as sighting in your scope start at 25 or 30 yds sight it in to hit 1.5 to 2" low this should put you 1" high at 60 yds then you can move back to 100 yds should be dead on. whith a 300gr bullet . At least that is how mine worked out and I am shooting a 290gr Spitfire TMZ With 95gr of 777.

Ron G.

lungbuster, did you have decent results with Sabertooth? they look great and are cheap enough, and I've not heard a bad thing about Harvester.

Well,as near as I can tell,looking at my T/C manual they list a two pellet load (pyrodex) won't be much,if any diffrence at 1707 fps. at the muzzel. According to their figures based on a 300gr. XTP it should shoot +1.4 inches high at 50yds. to be on at 100yds. This should be pretty close (it will get ya in the ball park) :) If your on the paper at 100yds. it should be pretty easy to dial in. Most scopes move @ 1/4 minute of angle at 100 yds. If you are 2 inches low and one inch right,just give the scope 8 click's up ( 4 clicks =1 inch @ 100yds.) and 4 clicks left. Should get ya right in there! :) Ron

Thanks Ron, that is the # I had in my little brain 1.5" high @ 50yds should put me close to where I want to be, now to find the load I want to shoot!
This could take a while but sure is fun!

Buckwild

My wife shoots the 270gr SABER TOOTH out of her Knight Wolverine with 85gr of 777 and they shoot great . She shot a 95lb Doe this year at I think it was 60yds Complete passthrew the doe stumbbled about 20yds and bellyed up , I have not tryed them yet BUUUT I am picking up a Knight KRB7 on Monday and am going to try the 300gr out of it with 777 2fg and Pyrodex P Will keep you posted on the Results
If they shoot out of the KRB like they do out of my wifes gun I will be one happy camper.

I am buying this gun just for conicals I have read some good post on them with conicals.

Ron G.

lungbuster1 said:
Buckwild

My wife shoots the 270gr SABER TOOTH out of her Knight Wolverine with 85gr of 777 and they shoot great . She shot a 95lb Doe this year at I think it was 60yds Complete passthrew the doe stumbbled about 20yds and bellyed up , I have not tryed them yet BUUUT I am picking up a Knight KRB7 on Monday and am going to try the 300gr out of it with 777 2fg and Pyrodex P Will keep you posted on the Results
If they shoot out of the KRB like they do out of my wifes gun I will be one happy camper.

I am buying this gun just for conicals I have read some good post on them with conicals.

Ron G.

I'm looking forward to seeing your post on your new gun.

Latest posts

Back