Silver or Black Scope w/ Stainless Barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin Fever

Reaction score
Do you prefer the look of a silver or black scope with a stainless barrel? I'm looking at a camo CVA Optima with stainless barrel, but I'm unsure if I want a silver or black scope?

BLACK! If the stainless color is even slightly different it bugs me. I have seen a few where the barrel and scope matched perfectly and that looked pretty good.

I used to think it needed a silver, I have one gun with that setup, but now I think THAT is the one that looks goofy. Go with a black.

Black stock-black scope. Camo stock-silver scope.

If you do go silver, use billable black bases and rings. It breaks up any color variation a little bit between the rifle and scope.

I did all stainless and silver once back in 1988 on a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag, never since. I only own one silver scope. It now sits in Black rings and bases on my Optima Pistol as described above. I was planning on buying a Black Leupold for it, but the first group at 50 yards was a one hole group, and I wasn't moving a thing after that.

BLACK! If the stainless color is even slightly different it bugs me. I have seen a few where the barrel and scope matched perfectly and that looked pretty good.
LOL! That's exactly why I'm on the fence about which one to buy! If I had both in hand and could compare how noticeable the color difference was, I would feel better about it. Since I'll be ordering online, I can't. I really don't like the looks of a black scope on a stainless barrel, but it seems like most setups are like that. Maybe it'll grow on me??

Are the silver scopes as "scuff" resistant as black?

Thanks fella's! I appreciate the feedback.

I got inspired by this.
I got a stainless barrel for my Firehawk. She has a nice dark walnut stock and is quite the looker!
The sights are blued, the triggerguard is blued too. So I used the blued receiver cap and rammer thimbles too. Different enough to be curiously good looking.
I call her Calico.

Black on stainless & nitride.
kygWFcyl.jpg

All silver can rarely be pulled off with rifle, scope, rings, and bases matching.

I do matte black everything whether the rifle is blued, stainless, or coated any other color or camo pattern.

Perfect is the enemy of good
Matching finishes for me is good enough
Silver - stainless - weatherguard - or powder coat slight variations don’t stick out like a sore thumb - my 2cents

A charcoal blued finish next to matte parkerizing would depend on firearm quality.

If I want to go to a firearm with an outstanding bling finish; color case hardening - the real deal like Turnbull Restorations, not the acid / chemical wash - but that does not apply to scope and rings -

Your mileage may vary but like Henry Ford said when marketing the model T; “You can have any color you want as long as it is black!”

moose

There is room for all of God’s creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes

Prefer black, but I'm a sucker for a deal on good glass, I have one silver on a Remington ML - rest are matte and black.

Back