Simmons 4X Pro Diamond on a Staghorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I had read posts from other members about their experience with a Simmons 4X Pro Diamond scope. They had reported they had very good experiences with the scope. Since the scope was only $39.95 I figured I would buy one and throw it on my Knight TK2000 shotgun for long range turkey busting.

After the scope came in, I changed my mind and took the RED DOT off my CVA Staghorn Magnum and mounted the Pro Diamond scope instead. The RED DOT can go on the Knight.

Today I took the rifle out to sight in. I bore sighted it in the house. It has some Warne QD rings on it. Kind of sad when you consider the rings cost more then the scope. I started out at 25 yards with the rifle. The first two shots were low, so I made a small adjustment just to see how much it would move and shot again. #3 was higher up, so I made a more major adjustment and shot three more times. The group was very impressive to say the least, but at 25 yards I expected this. I made one more small adjustment and fired three more. I was pleased to say the least. I was shooting 90 grains of Pyrodex P and some 302 grain Buffalo Bullet Sabots.

staghorn001-1a.jpg

I know the rifle likes Shockwaves, so using the same powder charge I fired off four of the 250 grain shockwaves. Again it grouped fine, so I made a small adjustment to the left and right, and moved the target back to the 50 yard line.

staghorn002-1a.jpg

I had two of the Shockwaves left so I fired two more shockwaves at 50 yards.

staghorn005-1a.jpg

To say that his scope impressed me so far is an understatement. It is hard to believe the clarity this inexpensive scope has. I have not tested the light gathering ability as I was shooting in bright sun light, but I am pretty confident in the rifle that if a deer came in at 50 yards, I could give it a very bad day with this rifle and scope.

I then tried some powerbelts. Again using the 90 grains of pyrodex P. In all fairness this rifle likes the 245 grain and the 348 grain and does not like the 295 grain but they were on a clearance sale at Wal Mart last year so I bought them.

staghorn006a.jpg

Why the first two hit so low but in such a nice group, I have no idea. I was swabbing between shots. Maybe the next time out I will cut the powder charge down to 70 grains and see what happens.

After that I then went back to the Buffalo Bullets and was shooting tomatoes off a rail on the target stand at 50 yards. I figure a medium tomato is about the size of a deer's heart. It was a lot more fun to splatter green tomatoes all over the woods then to punch holes in paper.

Nice little scope. although the cross hairs has a diamond in the center with the cross hairs through the center of it. Kind of easy on the eyes.

Back