slayed em today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are outstanding table fare. Flaky white meat, mild on the fishy taste. Its great breaded & fried, baked, on the grill, or stuffed with crab imperial. They are not great fighters on the line though, like how a largemouth bass fights - unimpressive compared to a smallmouth half its size. I've done tons of trolling for them on big poles & reels, my fav way to catch them is on light spinning tackle in the saltwater or freshwater.
i used my beach spinning rods my buddy used his boat rods too easy to catch em on boat rods and im sure you miss maryland i always miss home when i leave for a few days

Pacific Rockfish are orange. At Lake Powell they're called stripers and there is no limit. They don't want you to throw them back. They overpopulate and wipe out the shad. Back in the 90's, I'd catch some where the head was wider than the body. When they get a school of shad up on the surface, it is a blast. I use Zara Spooks with one hook, and if they miss the hook, they knock the lure 10 feet, and another one hits it.

Pacific Rockfish are orange, so I was surprised to see a picture of stripers listed as rockfish.

Pacific Rockfish are orange. At Lake Powell they're called stripers and there is no limit. They don't want you to throw them back. They overpopulate and wipe out the shad. Back in the 90's, I'd catch some where the head was wider than the body. When they get a school of shad up on the surface, it is a blast. I use Zara Spooks with one hook, and if they miss the hook, they knock the lure 10 feet, and another one hits it.

Pacific Rockfish are orange, so I was surprised to see a picture of stripers listed as rockfish.
Here in Maryland we call em rockfish

Actually there are several varieties of Pacific rockfish with various coloring. Red, orange, black, brown, silver Grey and blue to name a few.

Back