Smoothbore shooters?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Any other smoothbore shooters here?

I've got a 20G/62cal fusil de chasse and a 12G/72cal trade gun.

The former is one of my favourite guns, even though I haven't settled on a hunting load for it. The latter I'm yet to shoot.

Any suggestions for round ball loads in the 72 are much appreciated!

Screenshot_20221105-122652_Gallery.jpg

image000000(7).jpg

Yep I dabble in the smoothbores. 12 ga Underhammer and I just recently received a Kibler Colonial 58 cal smoothie kit last month. Preparing to get started finishing it. Have not shot RB in my 12 so no help there.

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpeg
    IMG_1910.jpeg
    688.3 KB · Views: 0
I shoot a 69cal Macon conversion and use 65g 3f Swiss and it's pretty darn accurate. For a .72, I'd suggest starting in the mid 60g area and work up and you'll also have to experiment a bit with patches.

Well I shoot one of Roger Renner’s 20 bore/62 cal Zephyr’s and though it’s not a true smooth bore cause there is a 1-144 Forsyth twist but it’s pretty close. Close enough I’m finding it shoots #4 buckshot reasonably well ( still testing ) .I’m sure somebody with more knowledge than me will step in and maybe correct me. But I shoot 325 gr. soft round balls and my rifle won’t group short of 90 grains of 2FF and gets more accurate with more charge. In fact 120 grains is quite satisfying. I’ve got a stash of very old 1940’s vintage DuPont 1F and it shoots softer and more accurately than my Goex or Swiss loads with half the fouling. This 1-144 sloooow twist might disqualify me from this thread ?
Rick

Latest posts

Back