So many bullets, so little time..and MONEY!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I do this every year at this time! That is trying to decide which bullet to use on a HOG!

1. 250gr Bonded Shockwave. I really want to used this one and it WAS my first choice. Since this is the LIKELY bullet I'll use for whitetail this coming fall, it would be a good test to see how well or poorly the new bullet holds up. This problem may be solved since at the very LEAST Kristel is going to shoot a hog using it.

2. 300gr Bonded Shockwave. I may even shoot whitetail using THIS bullet this fall! It certainly is an accurate bullet and has a better bc than its 250gr counterpart. And after seeing how the ULA .50 shot this bullet the other day its going to be REALLY hard NOT to use it! Again the hog hunt would be a GREAT test for this bullet!

3. 250gr and 290gr Spit-Fire T MZ?. EITHER should be a great bullet. It seems the problems I have always had with Barnes bullet have been addressed. Either of these have the makings of a fine whitetail/hog bullet! Of couse I have no idea how they shoot as I have not gotten mine yet so Barnes may have settled this choice for me.

4. Huntermans 240gr or 260gr Slick 40s. This is a spitzer/boat-tail shaped .40cal lead bullet. It should have a very decent bc. I have samples hardened with 1% and 3% antimony coming. Could make for an EXCELLENT bullet for hog OR whitetail! At least I WILL get to see how these shoot accuracy wise!

5. 44 Rem Mag 310gr hard cast. Or even the 300gr A-Frame! Boy..it WOULD be fun to see how Pats .480 compares to my .44 on a hog!

I think about $3000.00 plus tip should take care of my hog hunting expedition!

Grouse said:
big6x6 said:
I think about $3000.00 plus tip should take care of my hog hunting expedition!

What are you talking about???? :? :?

One hog for each bullet! Of course I'm not THAT crazy! YET! :lol:

That would be a nice problem to have. I've got one bullet I want to try on a hog. Of course now that it's discontinued :evil: I'm thinking about a 250 MZ Expander. :?

Chuck how about throwing the Barnes original into the mix since it is now available and lay down another 5 bills for a piece of pork to put a hole into? :wink: If you do what Wolf_River_Mike suggests you'll have Swisscheese and no bacon. :lol:

Don

If this groups well it just might get the call!

325gn .458...
325458.jpg

Chuck, these type of problems are good problems!!! I've settled on the Barnes-X 350 gr. as it seems somewhat unique to what everyone else is intending on shooting.... Which powder are you liking for the 300 gr. Bonded Shockwave?

Which powder are you liking for the 300 gr. Bonded Shockwave?

Right now 40-42gr SR-4759. One of the Savages and the ULA...it just puts them in there! I sure am leaning in the 300gr Bonded Shockwave direction. I also got Marks 260gr Slick 40s in today...man they look SWEET! If the 250gr and 290gr Spit-Fire T MZ? don't get here within a couple of weeks, it really won't matter because I won't have time to mess with them. It'll probably end up being one of the Bonded Shockwaves...

I'm thinking the 250grn bonded SST. It should do the job.

The 250gr bonded's are going to my choice. I am certain they are far more accurate out of my gun than my shooting abilities can make full use of...
Here is one group from this weekend...admittedly probably one of my best. The funny thing is that it is not truely "my" group. The two shots touching were shot by me...the third was taken shot by Jcchartgirl!

108_0896.jpg

Just to be fair and to display some of my more typical shooting....here are my last 7 shots I took with the 250gr bonded SST's yesterday. (note: these shots below were taken at 50yds)

Top...standard three shot group.

Middle...one shot taken withithout ram rod in thimble, two taken with ramrod in thimble.(scope adjusted 1/2 inch lower than top group)

Bottom...Taken with ramrod in thimble, shot while kneeling using shooting stix..

108_0890.jpg

JC, I think you are READY! Testing with the ramrod in/out is ALWAYS a great idea! Looks like the 250gr Bonded Shockwaves are shooting really good for you. What powder charge? You'll have to bring JC Chartgirl along next year!

Thanks Chuck,

I think I am getting closer...

I am using 41.5gr VV-110, supplied sabot.

I 'll be honest...after I shot those last 7 shots...I hightailed it out of the range...making sure I left on high note...the reality is, anything inside of 2.5 moa is good for my abilities at this point... :lol:

Dont you guys have any heavier Hog anchoring stuff !! :lol: We aint popin an antelope at 200 yards here. I was thinkin my 460 grain No Excuse was a lil lite...by 35 grains! :lol:

big6x6 said:
Testing with the ramrod in/out is ALWAYS a great idea!

Just out of curiosity wouldn't you be hunting with the ramrod in the thimble? And wouldn't load tests reflecting that variable be more demonstrative of this fact? For the record I have never load tested with the ramrod off the gun and I don't want to steal your thread Chuck but I would be interested in hearing what others do regarding this...

Jim, sounds like a great Thread to put up & collect feed back.

Myself, I see minimal variance.

I always test without the ramrod....

Having the ramrod on the gun while testing specific loads not only enters another large known variable, (the ramrod), but also many smaller unknown variables, (is the ramrod all way in, which jag is on the rod, is the jag tight on the rod...etc,etc).

Once I have found which load is best on its own merits...then I will introduce the ramrod variable and determine its effect on the accuracy of that load.

Just my way of starting at the lowest common denominator(variables), and working up...however I must admit it is a bit of a chicken or the egg issue...

JC

I always test without the ramrod....

Having the ramrod on the gun while testing specific loads not only enters another large known variable, (the ramrod), but also many smaller unknown variables, (is the ramrod all way in, which jag is on the rod, is the jag tight on the rod...etc,etc).

Took the words right out of my mouth. RARELY will I even shoot at game with the ramrod in. Also as the rifles accuracy potential/effective range goes up the chance of me leaving the ramrod in goes down.

Loggy said:
Dont you guys have any heavier Hog anchoring stuff !! :lol: We aint popin an antelope at 200 yards here. I was thinkin my 460 grain No Excuse was a lil lite...by 35 grains! :lol:

Hey Loggy, I think 325 grains of hard cast qualifies as a "heavier hog anchoring load"... :lol:

325458.jpg

Latest posts

Back