So nice to finally

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Upgrade my PC to something way more modern and faster

Intel I5-8400
Nvidia 1050 Ti 4gig video
Asus B360M-A mainboard
12gig DDR4 2666 memory
Intel 16gig Optane
Terabyte hardrive
Window 10 Pro...not totally thrilled with it but the mainboard only supportw Win10 64bit. Its wickedly fast though

Only $629 from Microcenter plus another 90ish for the extra memory

My home computer is an 11 yr old iMac 24. Other than upgrading the hard drive to a 2T, it still performs extremely closely to the windows pc that my job provides.

Congrats on your new “hot rod”.

Mac OS would likely be a bit of a problem with this hardware. Its made specifically for Win 10 64bit. I cant even run older versions of Windows on it and Linux support is somewhat spotty at best.

GM54-120 said:
Upgrade my PC to something way more modern and faster

Intel I5-8400
Nvidia 1050 Ti 4gig video
Asus B360M-A mainboard
12gig DDR4 2666 memory
Intel 16gig Optane
Terabyte hardrive
Window 10 Pro...not totally thrilled with it but the mainboard only supportw Win10 64bit. Its wickedly fast though
Only $629 from Microcenter plus another 90ish for the extra memory

What model computer did you get? My son is looking to get a new computer. I'm telling him to go for a laptop as he wants to do 3D landscaping designs. This way he can take the laptop and show the customers what their house will look like.

My Wife bought a Nice Toshiba Laptop Computer Last year, or year before? Windows 10, Huge storage in Terabyte? I can’t remember all of the Details about it? I know that thing hasn’t been used more than 4-5 times, it lives in a Case in our Bedroom. I used it to update my GPS, The wife stored Some pictures on it and that’s it. It’s nowhere near as Convenient as these Ipads, Therefore RARELY see’s the Light of Day

iPads pack a lot of features into a small package but has no where near the performance of my desktop. You would need to spend over a grand to get close and for a grand i could get a crazy fast desktop or mid-upper level laptop.

One of the things i had to have was hardware that supported Netflix HDR/SuperHD. They are super picky about what you can use. It must be an Intel 7th generation cpu or newer. It must be either integrated Intel graphics or Nvidia 10 series or newer with atleast 3gig of video memory. You cant even use the latest ATI/AMD graphics cards and get the HDR/SuperHD streams. Plus it must be played back using MS Edge or the MS Netflix app. You cant use either Chrome, Safari or Firefox.

The only other way to get the HDR/SuperHD service is through a supported UHD Smart TV or setup top box like a Roku/Apple TV 4K.

I have 20+ years experience repairing PCs and this one is just like something i could build from parts. Its very simple to repair virtually anything that could fail and they used several brands of parts i would use also if i built one from parts. Personally i prefer Window7 Enterprise edition but it just cant be done with these parts and some of the older stuff is actually more expensive.

I also play 2 games online that are VERY power demanding. When you have a group of 60 people fighting another group of 60 people in HD video it puts a huge bog on a older PC. Around 7pm each night you will notice i hardly ever post. Its my stress relief time fighting a massive virtual online battle. Literally over 100 people fighting for control of 4 separate areas. Great fun when you take their tower/castle/keep and wont let them take it back :D

This is a hoot to play in 1080P HD.
[youtube]0RmvEVmLybs[/youtube]

I fight for control of this castle most nights after 7pm. Its nearly all real people you see in this video. Very few computer controlled defenders.
[youtube]wP3E05p6q7I[/youtube]

GM54, That Fighting against real people through the PC would be a BLAST to do!! I know a few people that do it. Graphics nowadays are UNREAL! That is FAR out of my League stuff there :lol:

Lastnite the other "team" had the castle when i logged on. There are actually 3 teams. Each has their own "borderland" map and the map with the castle is called Eternal Battle Grounds. We failed many times but the other team managed to take it and then we took it from them within minutes. :D

The longer you hold an objective the harder it becomes to capture. They upgrade over time based on supplies delivered. It was fully upgraded when i got on so it was really hard to take. We spent most of the night just harassing them. Killing them for sport and "loot". My team (server) is known for being a fight server. Capturing objectives is not our top priority. Our kill to death ratio is what we care about and few do it better. :evil:

GM54-120 said:
Lastnite the other "team" had the castle when i logged on. There are actually 3 teams. Each has their own "borderland" map and the map with the castle is called Eternal Battle Grounds. We failed many times but the other team managed to take it and then we took it from them within minutes. :D

The longer you hold an objective the harder it becomes to capture. They upgrade over time based on supplies delivered. It was fully upgraded when i got on so it was really hard to take. We spent most of the night just harassing them. Killing them for sport and "loot". My team (server) is known for being a fight server. Capturing objectives is not our top priority. Our kill to death ratio is what we care about and few do it better. :evil:

No doubt that would be a LOT of fun!! As you stated above, this type of gaming requires more Computer than the average daily user, I see Gaming Computers on places like Craigslist, They start rattling off everything that is in them, it’s a Bit overwhelming to a fella like myself :lol: And they are PRICEY

Back