Some 200yd shooting..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I took three muzzleloaders to the 200yd range the other day. I have to say that ALL shot plenty good to shoot a whitetail to 200yds, some even more.

The first muzzleloader I pulled out of the truck was a Savage 10ML-II. I used the same load load of 42gr by weight VV N-110, Hornady 250gr SST, and a MMP short black sabot. The rifle only had 5 shots on it and these are shots 6, 7, and 8:

IMG_0035.JPG

The next up was the Traditions Pursuit II XLT. This was my second range trip with this rifle as well. I had previously used 100gr BH209 but without knowing how it shot I used 120gr BH209 with a 250gr Ballistic Extreme/MMP short black sabot:

Photo012.JPG

3.82 inches ain't bad considering I've never shot this load before. I'm pretty sure it will do better. MV with this load was 2038fps.

Next up was my all-camo Triumph. This is one accurate gun. It also gives the highest velocity with BH209. I knew this one shot great at 100yds with this load but I shot it for the first time at 200yds today. I also shot the first shot from a clean bore just to see where it would hit. It hit pretty close! Load was 120gr BH209. 250gr SST, Harvester sabot:

Photo011.JPG

I was using the second circle on the BDC reticle. MV 2044 fps.

I'm really getting close to being ready to go!

Do all your scopes have the BDC? If not, what do you use as a aim point in the scope and what do you normally sight them in at? You must get some long shot opportunities where you hunt.

That's some mighty fine 200 yard shooting, Big6. I'm impressed with that 3 3/4" group from the Traditions. It sure seems to dispel what the Traditions bashers say.

cayuga said:
Do all your scopes have the BDC? If not, what do you use as a aim point in the scope and what do you normally sight them in at? You must get some long shot opportunities where you hunt.

The Savage has a Ziess Conquest 3-12X56 with just a duplex. REALLY...it was shooting a little high and to the right and hopefully I corrected it for next time. Really it should be about 2.5 inches low at 200yds(175-180 yd zero).

The Pursuit II has the Leupold with again just a duplex. Of course it was shooting a little high too. It really should be 4-5 inches low at 200yds(160yd zero).

The Triumph has the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 with the BDC. I like this reticle. It's a little different than then Omega BDC-250..for one the reticle is heavier. That rifle was zeroed at 100yds on the crosshair and 200yds was the second circle. You see where it hit! This is a really good scope for the money!

Very nice shooting Chuck! Thanks for sharing. I need to get over to the farm so I can shoot out to 200.

I have used the intersection of the thin and thick cross hair on my Leopolds 3X-9X dead on at 200 yards with the scope set at 9X and it hits a 4 inch orange dot.

Good enough for minute of deer.

Chocdog

shooting

Big 6x6 starting t get everyones blood up w/ this type of shooting.

Latest posts

Back