Springjag loading tool.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Rhodes

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just been reading about the Springjag rotating Rod tip on the Chuck Hawkes site.

When I finally get my new re- barrel sorted I'm wanting to use something like this to help make things smoother when loading.

Does anyone use them. ?

Cheers DR.

I have one for each of my rifle calibers. For loading they are really good. I recommend them to anyone that hasn't tried one. ALL the SML shooters I know use them. W

Thank you,

Yes I did mean SPINjag. hahahahahah.

Have contacted the company in Virginia, but no response yet. Where else would I pick one up while over there later this year.

Cheers. DR.

yep, it can make pushing down the patched ball a bit easier, but so can rotating the rod with yer hand - IF need be.

as a cleaning jag it's totally useless to me because a bore cleaning jag requires a flat face and not a cupped face that WILL rotate when you twist the rod, in order to really clean a flat faced breech plug. even with patent breech plugs (ya know, those plugs with smaller 1/4" or so tunnels smack in the middle of the plug) the bp residue crud along the edge of the tunnel ain't coming out with a spinjag. and you'll still need a patched brush to clean out the tunnel's crud.

all in all, nothing i'd need to spend $19 + shipping on ... geez, it's just a jag, no rocket science needed. back 200+ years ago, both ramrods and cleaning rods had no metal jag fixtures, just solid wood rods (well, 'cept for the bess and their ilk), and they worked purty well, too. 8) :mrgreen:

It can be a great addition for the fast twist muzzle loading shooters like1-18 twist using land riding bullets .

bestill said:
It can be a great addition for the fast twist muzzle loading shooters like1-18 twist using land riding bullets .

yes, that's its forte - bullets and fast twist rifling, all of which is not the norm for a trad "sidelock" muzzleloader.

rfd said:
yep, it can make pushing down the patched ball a bit easier, but so can rotating the rod with yer hand - IF need be.

as a cleaning jag it's totally useless to me because a bore cleaning jag requires a flat face and not a cupped face that WILL rotate when you twist the rod, in order to really clean a flat faced breech plug. even with patent breech plugs (ya know, those plugs with smaller 1/4" or so tunnels smack in the middle of the plug) the bp residue crud along the edge of the tunnel ain't coming out with a spinjag. and you'll still need a patched brush to clean out the tunnel's crud.

all in all, nothing i'd need to spend $19 + shipping on ... geez, it's just a jag, no rocket science needed. back 200+ years ago, both ramrods and cleaning rods had no metal jag fixtures, just solid wood rods (well, 'cept for the bess and their ilk), and they worked purty well, too. 8) :mrgreen:

:roll: They work great for what they are meant for. (Its a modern muzzleloader jag) they also keep from deforming the tops of conicals on loading. and 200 years ago, there HAD to be "that guy" who just HAD to insist.. years ago, we didn't need no gunpowder, caveman got by just fine with a pointy stick and a rock :d'oh!:

Squeeze said:
rfd said:

:roll: They work great for what they are meant for. (Its a modern muzzleloader jag) they also keep from deforming the tops of conicals on loading. and 200 years ago, there HAD to be "that guy" who just HAD to insist.. years ago, we didn't need no gunpowder, caveman got by just fine with a pointy stick and a rock :d'oh!:

right ... meant for a MODERN MUZZLELOADER ... not really for a trad sidelock ml, which is exactly what THIS sub-forum is all about.

:poke: :mrgreen: 8)

I have used, and still own my share of sidelocks. I just prefer something more modern nowadays. I shoot more deer by far with a recurve bow, than my muzzleloader. And shot my first deer with a recurve in the "70s. I just tire of the constant one string banjo monotone of every Traditionalist style. and on most crossover forums, a modern topic cannot go to its finish before someone has to post a photo of their latest rocklock, while expressing its "correctness".And spew the phrase "200 years ago" and the thread carries on another 3 pages of Ohhh, Purty.. and heres mine!! :D

Squeeze said:
I have used, and still own my share of sidelocks. I just prefer something more modern nowadays. I shoot more deer by far with a recurve bow, than my muzzleloader. And shot my first deer with a recurve in the "70s. I just tire of the constant one string banjo monotone of every Traditionalist style. and on most crossover forums, a modern topic cannot go to its finish before someone has to post a photo of their latest rocklock, while expressing its "correctness".And spew the phrase "200 years ago" and the thread carries on another 3 pages of Ohhh, Purty.. and heres mine!! :D

while the spinjag surely does work for ALL ml's and all 1pc projectiles for those firearms, its clear and obvious forte is conicals and fast twist rifling. neither of those are any great part of the trad ml world or this particular sub-forum of this modern muzzleloader forum, and you know where to go for that, right? the rest of the krap you had to spew is just plain silliness.

Back