stainless or chrome moly

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encoreguy

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but I have decided to take the plunge and buy a ML-II. Now I have to decide between blued or stainless. Ron at SMI told me that Douglas barrels does not recommend stainless for muzzleloader barrels because they are easier to "scratch" inside the bores than a Chrome moly one. Scratching caused by improper cleaning technique or from a ram rod. Have any of you heard that? Plus I know you have had a discussion on here about the radial marks in the stainless factory barrels. Are you seeing the same in the blued versions? If you were me and buying your first Savage which way would you go? Either will have a laminate stock from Randy. Chances are that if I bought a stainless and it shot well, I would eventually have it bead blasted to reduce the shine. Aesthetically I could go either way. I know that I have regreated buying my Encore 5 years ago, blued (since I shoot pyrodex and 777 in it) but the Savage is only being bought because of its ability to shoot non corrosive smokeless. I am also trying to factor in resale value. Since they both cost the same in this situation, am I better to go stainless? The final decision though is long term, sustainable accuracy! Thanks for you thoughts.

I thought I always understood that the stainless was harder than the crome moly so I'm not sure about that. I think it all boils down to a personel preference and I really don't think one will shoot better than the other. As far as the tooling marks go people are getting sub MOA at a 100yds so it shouldn't be a issue and I think Savage is doing alot better with that anyway. Either would be a good choice. :wink:

Darrel that is great, wish I did. I would hang on to that gun, sounds like somehow that barrel got past their quality control boys! :lol:

Rifleman said:
Darrel that is great, wish I did. I would hang on to that gun, sounds like somehow that barrel got past their quality control boys! :lol:

Maybe. :shock:

Latest posts

Back