Stainless Traditional styled TC rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSR

Reaction score
Was the TC Cougar the only traditional styled muzzleloader, made with a blue barrel and stainless steel lock?  Actually some pictures that I've seen of the TC Cougar show a lock that looks like a combo of blue (hammer) and stainless (lock plate), others show an all stainless lock. 

I know they also made the New Englander in all stainless (barrel, and lock, the Grey Hawk).  Any other traditional rifle models, made with stainless steel?

I just found out the name of the TC model that I was thinking of.  It was the Fire Storm, a flintlock stainless "traditional" style rifle, with a synthetic stock. Does anyone know how much these are selling for?  I was thinking of getting one.

Before, anyone states that they're ugly, the reason I want one is: I just like the idea of stainless in a flintlock, makes clean up easier.

I'm pretty sure there's one for sale over on modern muzzleloader right now for around $200ish???

CoHiCntry & patocazador - Is the asking price reasonable?  I mean is that about what they are selling for?

OSR said:
CoHiCntry & patocazador - Is the asking price reasonable?  I mean is that about what they are selling for?
I'm no expert but you probably aren't gonna find lots of guns under $200. The one I was referring to looked to be in real good condition. There's probably not a huge market for a modern looking flintlock so prices should reflect that.

I wouldn't pay that for one unless it were a flintlock.
For hunting purposes, it is short, fairly light and s.s. so I would if I wanted a gun for that purpose. I already have a wooden stocked one that's almost a clone to the T/C but with a double set trigger.

OSR said:
Before, anyone states that they're ugly, the reason I want one is: I just like the idea of stainless in a flintlock, makes clean up easier.
How does having a stainless make clean up easier? I have been shooting muzzleloaders, percussion, flintlock, inline, both stainless, and blue for 25 years +, and I find no difference in clean up between stainless, and blue. If you think you can put off clean up of stainless, instead of cleaning after each shooting session, you are mistaken. Stainless will corrode.

fouling doesnt seem to "stick" to the SS as much. I notice the SS barrels on the inlines clean up a whole lot easier with BH209 than my blued barrels, BUT that could just be due to the SS barrels being polished better.

I would not insinuate that anyone here is trying to  avoid cleaning. There is certainly a difference between "easier " and not at all. Strange how new materials have led some to believe that cleaning can be put off or isn't even necessary. BP substitutes and stainless are often culprits. I keep in fairly close contact with a gunsmith in my area. Last year 2 inlines came in with breech plugs frozen and barrels rusted. Worse yet both were still charged. In both cases these guns were brought in by the wives of the owners. I believe they were too embarrassed to do it themselves.
I can't imagine cleaning getting much easier than with BP. Olde Eynsford is my choice since it came out. Goex prior to that. My wife buys my solvent at the grocery store. Called Dawn. Add water and presto! My choice of rust inhibiters is Barricade. Don't get any easier than that.
Take care,
Ed 

T/C also made the Gray Hawk. .50 and .54 calibers. Basically a stainless version of the New Englander.

To each their own, and I won't criticize what one chooses to shoot but, stainless is just ugly to me on a traditional style rifle. :D

Yep traditional rifles must be blue or brown with wood stocks and steel furniture.

A Brass trimmed T/C will not get you kicked out of the rendezvous but stainless will bring out the pitchforks and torches and if you stick around too long they will start building a gallows. 
Seriously, why would anyone...............
I mean what's the .............................
Isn't there a better.............................
Ok, I don't get it. Why does a stainless traditional sidelock even exist?

Archie otto said:
Ok, I don't get it. Why does a stainless traditional sidelock even exist?
For the same reason inlines exist.

Carried to the extreme.........smokeless muzzleloaders.

Back