Standard nipples in a Black Diamond

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone using them? I'm thinking of trying it as my bear load (300 gr .45 xtp, non mag, in a Harvester crush rib over 80 gr of 3f T7) really shreds musket caps, espicially RWS. I'm thinking the single port nipple will reduce the amount of blowback through the nipple and may also keep things alittle cleaner in there. If it does I may get another plug and have the unnecessary threaded portion reamed out as the threads do nothing but collect fouling. Experiences and thoughts all appreciated.

I gave up a long time ago trying to make the Black Diamond XR cleaner. Like most open breech design rifles, there is blow back. Because of the breech plug with the additional nipple the Black Diamond really seems blessed with fowling. Its probably why they moved to the Omega.. But it is hard to out shoot a Black Diamond XR. Good luck bear hunting.

yup

Hi Cayuga, I dont mind cleaning her , its that I dont think the flamethrower nipple is a necessity espicially when using lightish charges of loose powder. I shot some RWS musket caps and 2 were just about torn in half and the 3rd disintegrated leaving only a small disc covering the flame aperture of the nipple.I've shot a few plunger type inlines and never had that happen. I tried #11 's and that happened 100%. I think those 3 vents permit too much gas to come back. I find myself in an interesting situation though. I have an Omega, which I am inappropriately fond of, but I find myself REALLY getting into my walnut stocked BD XR .50. She's just as accurate , which is really saying something, but is just a touch of old school compared to the Omega.

I admit, I shoot 209 primers out of my Black Diamond XR. I have the other breech plugs but have never used them.

I never shot those light loads. I might have to try that. And see what happens.

wow

Well , I had an old 1/4-28 musket nipple lying around sooo. Results were quite good! Accuracy was unchanged but point of impact was down 2 inches compared to the same load lit with the flamethrower nipple.RWS caps survived intact. Breech fouling was significantly reduced. Offhand I'd say it was about a 50% reduction. Next time out I will chrono this load as the drop in point of impact hints at some change.The load is a 230 gr Winchester jhp ( designed for the .45 acp) in a Harvester crush rib over 50 gr of 3f T7. 1465 fps and that load wrecked a nice doe last month.A quartering to shot at 55 yards. Went in, broke a rib, thoroughly trashed both lungs and to my surprise exited between the last 2 ribs on her left flank. These results are promising as regular nipples are both easier to find and less expensive than the flamethrowers.

wow

Well , I had an old 1/4-28 musket nipple lying around sooo. Results were quite good! Accuracy was unchanged but point of impact was down 2 inches compared to the same load lit with the flamethrower nipple.RWS caps survived intact. Breech fouling was significantly reduced. Offhand I'd say it was about a 50% reduction. Next time out I will chrono this load as the drop in point of impact hints at some change.The load is a 230 gr Winchester jhp ( designed for the .45 acp) in a Harvester crush rib over 50 gr of 3f T7. 1465 fps and that load wrecked a nice doe last month.A quartering to shot at 55 yards. Went in, broke a rib, thoroughly trashed both lungs and to my surprise exited between the last 2 ribs on her left flank. These results are promising as regular nipples are both easier to find and less expensive than the flamethrowers.

Latest posts

Back