Storing gun with breach plug removed.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
After seeing a few stories about seized breach plugs I got to wondering if anyone stores their gun with the plug out?

What about keeping the firing pin removed? That is steal on aluminum on my CVA

Seems like it would be an effective preventative.

If you store it without the bp keep the gun muzzle down so it will keep oil or any gunk you may have missed from getting in the threads.

If you only knew how many nice old 22s - vintage Remingtons and Winchesters as well as 2nd tier and store brands - I saw come into a small gunshop with the bolt missing because the now dead and gone owner kept 'em separate for "safety" etc.... If you do remove, at least put in a container and FIRMLY attach to rifle...

I store my muzzleloaders with the breech plugs removed, always have so no idea if it's necessary. Breech plugs are on the shelf in my safe right above the guns. I oil the crap out of my firing pins before I put them away for the winter, never been a problem. I do a thorough cleaning before I shoot them in the summer.

i always remove my breech plug when storing it in gun safe i keep it in an old film canister and keep it in the gun case. when i go to shoot i take it out blow it out with a compessor and ready to go

If I took my breechplugs out, I'd never figure out which gun the went back into! Would have to end up buying a cabinet and containers just for them and store by gun serial number! Yes, I have a problem!
I use to leave my breach plugs out after cleaning. Anymore I clean and tape the plug and reinstall it. I haven't seen any notable difference either way.

If you clean your muzzleloader correctly including the breech plug and apply a light film of grease on the plug threads there is no reason to store the gun without the plug installed. The guns that the breech plug gets stuck are ones that are put up dirty and had no lube on the threads and the user put the plug in with an impact gun.

I really see no need to store with the BP removed as long as, like others have said, that the threads are coated with anti-seize. That said though I always store all my long guns, including muzzleloaders in the safes with the muzzle down. This prevents any residual oil from entering the breech and/or action. This is also why I only need to swab the bore with a dry patch prior to shooting and don't have any misfires or hang fires.

If I took my breechplugs out, I'd never figure out which gun the went back into! Would have to end up buying a cabinet and containers just for them and store by gun serial number! Yes, I have a problem!
First world problems for sure, some day I hope I have that same problem. I currently only own 2 muzzleloaders, and the both take the same plug. That's a much worse problem:) I do have 8 breech plug though so I'm kind of on my way there.

I'm new to the ML world so have no experience with seized breech plugs, but would think if properly cleaned and a nice coat of anti-seize, there shouldn't be an issue.

The only thought I would have on someone who had a seized breech plug after doing that is that it maybe seized where the face of the plug meets the barrel. If it's a concern, possibly backing the plug out just enough where there isn't contact might help.

Back