Dry fire #2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Seeing the Dry Fire thread in the smokeless area reminded me that I have this thing about dry firing any of my guns. I got in the habit a long time ago that if I have a plug in a gun [I generally remove plugs from long term stored guns], I slip a spend, but cleaned, primer in the pocket. I believe this helps protect the firing pin from over extending itself and prevents spring damage if the gun gets cocked and the trigger pulled when unloaded. My guns all shoot clean so the primers don't need much more than a simple wipe before going back into the plug. When the plug goes back in the gun, the primer is already there and its simple to just pluck it out if the gun is to be loaded and shot.

Ocassionally I'll have someone ask about the muzzies and I bring a couple out to show and I've had instances where they pull the hammer back and pull the trigger before I can say anything so if the gun comes out the plug goes in and that spent primer just furthers its original intended use.

I dry fire my smokers all the time, good thing about flint guns!

I avoid dry firing my centerfires but not my BP smokers.

Wont dry fire my rimfires, even the ones the manufacturer says are ok to do on

Rarely have need to dry fire the center fire bolt guns

Never dry fire an AR without a upper including bolt carrier group installed

Dont dry fire my 1858 or cva caplock, will dry fire my 12ga inline but dont often see need

I dont fiddle around with spent cases and such - proper snap caps are cheap if that is your thing to do

Wont dry fire my rimfires, even the ones the manufacturer says are ok to do on

Rarely have need to dry fire the center fire bolt guns

Never dry fire an AR without a upper including bolt carrier group installed

Dont dry fire my 1858 or cva caplock, will dry fire my 12ga inline but dont often see need

I dont fiddle around with spent cases and such - proper snap caps are cheap if that is your thing to do
Almost all of my rifles, black and unmentionables, have a a way of closing the bolt as you pulled the trigger, to let the firing pin hammer go down without having to pull the trigger close gently. The percussions and the flintlocks create no problem to do this, and in my 270 pump, i can put my finger in the bottom with the clip out and let it come down gently. Does anybody else do this?
Squint

Almost all of my rifles, black and unmentionables, have a a way of closing the bolt as you pulled the trigger, to let the firing pin hammer go down without having to pull the trigger close gently. The percussions and the flintlocks create no problem to do this, and in my 270 pump, i can put my finger in the bottom with the clip out and let it come down gently. Does anybody else do this?
Squint

An AR wont, but a M16 will if selector is on the "happy" position. FAL with no safety sear (almost all semis in the US) will if you flip the lever to the fun position and havent modded the selector to make that a second safety. No way to do it on a AK, Galil, Valmet, HK, M1, M14, M1 carbine... In fact, any semi auto you can do this is essentially a slam fire full auto accident waiting to happen, the disconnector or safety sear or equivalent piece should prevent it. Same with pump actions, other than older shotguns like the 1897 that are known to be slam-fireable. In fact, bolt guns are the only thing I know of with the trick of holding the trigger while you close the bolt to prevent it from being cocked....

An AR wont, but a M16 will if selector is on the "happy" position. FAL with no safety sear (almost all semis in the US) will if you flip the lever to the fun position and havent modded the selector to make that a second safety. No way to do it on a AK, Galil, Valmet, HK, M1, M14, M1 carbine... In fact, any semi auto you can do this is essentially a slam fire full auto accident waiting to happen, the disconnector or safety sear or equivalent piece should prevent it. Same with pump actions, other than older shotguns like the 1897 that are known to be slam-fireable. In fact, bolt guns are the only thing I know of with the trick of holding the trigger while you close the bolt to prevent it from being cocked....
My Rem760 can be decocked by putting your finger in the clip hole and catching the hammer. I've heard that those semi-automatics are more difficult or can't be done, but I don't own any of those so it's not a problem forme. If I did, I would figure something out.
Thanks for the info.
Squint

Latest posts

Back