Strongest type of breech?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndswede

Reaction score
I'm still pretty new to sidekick muzzleloaders and am wondering what kind of breech is the strongest? As I understand it there's a patent breach and an external drum and nipple. Not sure those terms are right. Which is strongest?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Re: Strongest type of breech?

I much prefer a bolster to a drum design. Never had a misfire wth a bolster. Can't say the same of the drum. Bolsters are also easier to clean. They are more expensive and not exactly common outside of rifle muskets, but if you can locate one, you'll be miles ahead. Imho

Re: Strongest type of breech?

ndswede said:
I'm still pretty new to sidekick muzzleloaders and am wondering what kind of breech is the strongest? As I understand it there's a patent breach and an external drum and nipple. Not sure those terms are right. Which is strongest?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Drum designed ML are limited to RB only in NMLRA competition. I've even witnessed a drum flying 20' from a heavy load RB rifle. I assume you understand a drum design.
Here is a photo of a Patent Breech, basically an integral 1 piece breech plug. Note the nipple is screwed into the bolster of the breech and the platinum (circle) blow out plug on the side (perpendicular to the bore).

Attachments

• AH 791 3.JPG
    AH 791 3.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Back