Subsonic ML load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmer

Reaction score
Hi all,
Is there any reason not to try to shoot a subsonic load? I am thinking a conical for shooting backyard bunnies under 30 yds(head shots only). I use a 22 with subsonics now, but its gettng boring. My concern is accuraccy and I know I need to work up my own load for each rifle. my knight Wolverine seems to shoot evrything great and I'm just asking if any of you have done this.
Palmer

Palmer,
I have NO experience with what you're trying here, but what about just using a round ball with a patch instead? Seems to me using a conical would be way to big. Maybe a light load with a round ball instead.

If you want a change, try a bow. More of a challenge, and pretty much silent.

Good luck either way!

I have shot snowshow bunnies with my Knight Wolverine LK-II using a .490 roundball, pillow tick patch, on top of 50 grains of black powder. Actually the rifle is real accurate with this load. The trick is not to push the ball fast, or it would skip the rifling. I never tried to slow it down more, but I am sure it could be taken down to 30 grains. I'm just not sure what the accuracy would be like.

MObigbucks,
Thanks for your suggestion, I am an avid bowhunter and have shot more deer with a bow than a rifle or muzzleloader. I was just contemplating something different and looking for anyones experience.
Cayuga,
Thanks for the load info. I tried a RB and polypatch today and it worked OK with 40 gr. I didn't have time to really work on it though.

Palmer

Latest posts

Back