Summer project.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
Hey all. It's been a busy summer for old Grizz. Between the state constable / armed security thing, and the usual domestic duties anyway. I did manage to get a project finished this summer. A .58 Leman halfstock from Pecatonica River. I tried some things I have been curious about,like vinegar finish on the metal parts. This being my first rough parts build was a challenge also. She isn't perfect, but I like her. She is shooting quite well for now with FF Goex and a .015 patch and .570 cast ball. I have no targets to post at the moment, and don't expect to at least until after this early season is over. Then I will have to punch out a couple to show. Hope you all like her,Grizz.
100_0869.jpg

100_0870.jpg

100_0872.jpg

100_0873.jpg

100_0871.jpg

Fine looking gun Grizz. You should be proud.

Are you satisfied with how the vinegar finish turned out? I really like the looks of that. Was it simply a matter of wiping it on, letting it sit awhile, and washing it off. Or was it more complicated than that?

Grizz

Only thing better is eating straps shot w/ that gun! I have seen that Vinegar finish on some guns and like the look of it. YOurs is just enough to look right, perfect. Beautifulk and looking forward to stories. Have you named her yet?

Thanks guys. The vinegar turned out pretty good.All I had to do was wrap vinegar soaked strips of tee shirt around the parts, and keep them damp during the process. The longer you leave it wrapped, the more effect you will get. This is about 8 maybe 9 total hours of treatment. I would likely try it again in the future. The only thing I wish I would have tried is the mustard and bluing paste finish. Heck I might try it on this barrel after the late season this winter. The mustard is basicly a paste form of the vinegar. Some folks add a little more vinegar to the mustard in fact. The bluing paste is supposed to leave a nice aged and worn bluing look to the metal when mixed with the mustard/vinegar.

No official name yet. Ugly Betty comes to mind though. I sure would like to get some fresh straps with her this week. This 70deg weather isn't helping a thing.

That is a beautiful rifle you have there. I am sure you are going to like shooting that big bore.

Very nice rifle. I've built a few from Pecatonica components.

For finish on steel, I prefer Wahkon Bay browning solution. Steel comes out about the color of Hershey's chocolate. Durable finish, too. Easy to use.

Back