Switching from inline to traditional

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerjake77

Reaction score
Switching from inline to traditional

This year I made the switch from compound to traditional archery.
Now I want to make the switch from inline to traditional muzzleloading. 
I apologize for the newbness, but I’d like a starting point for my research. 
Not knowing much between flintlock and percussion, I’m looking for something simple and safe. Most likely a kit but who knows.
What’s best for a trad beginner? I’d like to slowly morph away from the modern life and hunt like men use to hunt.

Thank you all in advance. You’ve all helped me a lot in my inline journey, now it’s time to step up my game.

Re: Switching from inline to traditional

There's quite a few used Hawken "clone" rifles available for ~$275 to $350. These are mostly percussion guns which are the most reliable and simplest of the traditional muzzleloaders. Some of these will have rusty and/or pitted bores. 
Get a drop-in bore light and examine any that you find available locally. Haggle a bit to get it $20-25 cheaper and you have a well-made, mostly reliable firearm.

Get some balls/bullets, percussion caps, and black powder and you're all set.

if you want a really good reliable side lock, buy for the internet or locally a thompson hawken or renagade where the stock and hardware are really good but the barrel is rusted out. buy it cheap, the have the oregon rifle barrel company make you a drop in barrel with all the stuff on it 35 and 1/2 inches long for your rifle. for a 45 cal use a 1/56 twist, for a 50 cal a 1/60 twist, for a 54 cal use a 1/62 twist. if you do this you will have a side lock that is perfect and will last a life time and be very accurate. just take care of it.

If you look on gunbroker you can often find a Thompson Center Hawken in 50 caliber thats still in the box new. I have seen them for as low as 350.00. There is also a Lyman Trade Rifle. Avaliable in flint of percussion. I have one in 54 cal percussion and for just fun shooting its one of my favorite rifles to shoot. There are alot of people shooting the trade rifle. Several members where I go shooting have them and they all like them. Al

Take a look at Armslist also.  I looked this morning and there are 290 listings.  Brand new stuff too. Not all the private parties will ship, scared to death of dealing with someone that isn't there next door neighbor I guess.  There are a lot of listings that will ship though.

What’s peoples preference flintlock or  percussion cap

If you're just getting started, the percussion is less complicated. Flintlocks tend to have several minor problems with ignition. The frizzen has to be very hard, the flint has to be at a certain angle, and many need 4F powder in the pan. 
Also, Flintlocks require real black powder for consistent ignition .. no Pyrodex etc.

All the suggestions so far are good, but don't ignore the local gun shop. Some take in traditional sidelocks on trade for inlines (I hate even typing that word) and sell them cheap to get rid of them. Bought a good TC Renegade in .50 two years ago for $100.

I've got a great sidelong I have not listed yet. I'll pm you the details tomorrow when I get home.

I have a FrontierGander sourced CVA "Hawken" that he smoothed out and refinished and it was an outstanding buy.  I recommend any rifle coming from him.
A local gun shop always has a few blackpowder muzzleloaders for reasonable prices, in the $250-350 range. They almost always have decent bores and some expected stock wear.
As others have said, try starting with percussion, then move to flint lock if you are so disposed. At this point, I have more fun with flintlocks, but I started with percussion.
Ron

THE CVA ARE LESS COST GREAT VALUE FOR THE CASH DEER DON'T KNOW WHAT THEIR SHOT WITH

Caplock is a good easy start, once you feel you have mastered a rifle of that persuasion, get a really good quality flintlock, even an old custom built one might be better than the factory reproductions. If you did get a factory reproduction flintlock you may need to find someone who can tune the lock to make it a reliable sparker.  Dutch Shoultz shooting system for a few dollars is a worthy investment as he does a great job of explaining the shooting of round ball rifles. It will help you sort the wheat from the chaff as they say. If there is an experianced blackpowder shooter or club near you that will help to. 

Cheers and good luck

Gordon

Just an FYI note. If you see a low price on a gun with a barrel that's slightly rusted and/or lightly pitted. That barrel may be savable. Over thirty years ago I'd won a Numrich barrel in a .50 cal 38" long. I built a Lehigh Valley and after finishing it, I took it to the range. I had trouble putting balls down the barrel, about 2/3 of the waydown, there was a high, tight spot . I went to my friend, and along with my gunsmithing tutor, the Late Phillip Cravener in PA, we were dumbfounded. He gave me a barrel maker's name, good friend to him, and advised I should call and see what he might do to help me. I called Bob Hoyt in Friendsville, PA and he ask me questions on the barrel size. The lands were 15/16" on a .50 and he said it had enough extra metal and it could be turned out and rifled 1-66 in a .54 caliber. He quoted me the price for the work, it was fair for me. I removed the barrel. packaged it, sight, tenons, and all, and sent it to him. I got it back 5 weeks later; Mounted it back on the stock; Went to the range and shot a 5 shot, fifty a yard target that was actually 1 hole grouped, way better than before I sent it. There are ways to save the barrels. You just think outside the box. Take a good look and make an EDUCATED call.

Thinking of doing the same. Got a 54Cal. Sidelock I have killed many Deer with and Love the Rifle but I have a 50Cal. Inline with a Very Good Scope on that I've killed many Deer with.

My trouble now is my Eyes aren't good as they use to be and I just don't feel right putting a Scope on
 this Rifle
Went from a Recurve to a Crossbow because I can no longer Draw a Bow.

Just something for me to think about and something and something for you to remember things don't stay the same forever so enjoy while you can.

oneshot

000_1010.jpg

000_1610.jpg

Looks like some proud memories there Oneshot.

If you can still get a drivers license and drive a car. You can hunt with open sights. Maybe a peep sight, but open sights.

Get closer.

Bear Claw said:
If you can still get a drivers license and drive a car. You can hunt with open sights. Maybe a peep sight, but open sights.

Get closer.

Right now a matter of getting stronger Glasses.

oneshot

Whatever it takes bud, but don't give up.

Back