New from Maryland

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ode1891

Reaction score
I owned a Hawken 50 percussion long ago but did not use it much. Back in 2003 or so I bought a 209 TC Encore 50 which I used up until this year. It shoots great! My son killed his first nice buck with it. My son in law killed a beautiful 130 " +- buck using it while I was recovering from shoulder surgery in 2019. Its been a great rifle. I went to the great American outdoor show and spent time at the CVA area. I was impressed with the Accura and bought one direct from CVA to get the GAOS discount the guy gave me. I want to take some time and get the scope mounted as best I can. I assume CVA makes a few different sized/height rings? I'll do some digging. In the past I mount scopes and discover its not quite the exact position I need, and occasionally get a semi circle eyebrow indent.

I do not shoot much beyond 100 yards if ever. So I'm not looking for a super bullet for long distance. I'm more interested in expansion. I used/tried a variety of bullets when I started using the TC and settled on the power belts, but after a while I had issues with inconsistency so I scrubbed it out with acetone and a brass brush and restored it. I then started using Barnes sabots which have served me well but the ones I could find were aero dynamic tips for distance. I think I want a basic hollow point. I think. A 50 caliber 'anything' will smash through any deer anatomy, but these seem to partition into pieces if they hit any solid bone.

I know my question is like asking on an archery sight , what broadhead is best'? :) But, what sabot bullet have you gotten the best results with in an inline? Not looking to shoot groundhogs at 200 yards.

also, if I could find a decent solid t handle ram rod, I'd attach it to my pack and carry it in. Not crazy about the pop together ram rod, but absolutely no experience with it. For those of you who have one of these new fangled pop together ramrods , what do you think about it? Has it worked well for you?

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
I'm retired and not encumbered with piles of discretionary cash to start up new hobbies, but I have always been curious about flintlocks. TC used to make a stainless barrel flinter that I almost bought. Never shot one

Welcome from your neighbor in PA. An excellent and relatively inexpensive bullet for your type of hunting (similar to mine) is the 300 gr, 44 cal Hornady XTP with a Harvester green crush rib (CR) sabot. The 240 grs ones are OK but for me the 300s shoot better and hit harder. You can also get the 45 cal ones and the black CR sabots.

Latest posts

Back